Monday, April 8, 2019

Grub Crawl - Downtown: The Menagerie (Changed to a Rusteak) and Tre Bambine (Closed) *MN Travel Notes

I tried these new restaurants around Lake Eola last Thursday at lunch. The first replaces Spice on Central Ave (across from Publix). The second replaces that Cajun place that was Mucho before that. It is one block east and south on South Eola. Both show promise.

The Menagerie - It is done up like a freak/side show. They bought out and incorporated the liquor store next door and call it The Broken Cage. You can still buy bottles to go as well. I grabbed two apps to go because the menu was a bit blah and by doing that I didn't need to get dinner or come down here a second time to knock out Bambine. I chose Taiwanese Night Market Chicken ($8) and Blackberry Habenero Wings ($9). The Market Chicken was eight pieces of white meat chicken tempura-ed and served with fried basil and a dragon sauce. I haven't been to Taiwan (going at the end of the month), so I don't know if they are authentic. But, they were good. Even after an afternoon of sitting. I did try a piece earlier on. They held up well. The dragon sauce was a let down. Just a red pepper infused jam that you see a lot. There is something sweet in the batter. I found the wings a bit paunchy. And since they were grilled and smothered in a sticky sauce, they weren't how I like my wings. I like crispy and hot over limp and sweet. The habanero was MIA. And I'm not a huge fan of the moist chicken movement. It leads to rubbery-ness more times than it leads to flavor. The menu has some fun items and that (and the fact that they are run by the Rusteak guys) is why I say it has promise. You will have to see if the other dishes match up. Some fun elements: caramel lacquered pork belly, pisco sour relish, potato nest, kambucha bbq beef, coconut mayo, pickled English cucumbers, burger with hollandaise sauce, burger with fried chicken cutlet on top, corn coleslaw, popcorn mayo, smoked honey aioli, cauliflower fried rice, cheesy purple grits and Jarlsberg mac and cheese. The menu is apps, burgers, salads, sandwiches and six mains. They go as far as serving lobster. The menagerie theme, I guess. They kept the interior mostly the same. They replaced some art and maybe some wall hangings. They opened in October. I guess just after I wasted my time on the Cajun visit. I hate returning to this street year after year to try the next version of the four spaces on it. Hopefully, they can save me a return trip for quite a while.

Tre Bambine - They are run by first timers and fancy themselves a "bacaro" (usually a Venetian wine bar that serves snacks). They have been open for six weeks. The "grand opening" hasn't happened yet, so, I guess they still have some kinks to work out. One I saw immediately was kitchen staff. There was ONE person working in the open kitchen at noon. I think a few more came in as I was leaving, but, I won't swear to it. The order did take a while and it wasn't very crowded. And it was a panini! A lazily plated roasted pork panini that was 20% fat and gristle. They were also lazy with the side dish. Terra chips. Are we on Jet Blue? It cost $14 but the bill said $15. Watch for other "mistakes" on your bill. You notice how they always run in their favor? Either way it shows a lack of management/detail orientation. The wait staff was also bare bones. One waiter. One hostess. One bartender? She wasn't doing much of anything. The menu is semi-Italian. They reinterpret some dishes to be more American (meatloaf) and some to be more Italian (dammit I forget the liquor, but, they flavored the pastrami in a pastrami sandwich with it). They also put lasagna (2) in cup cake form and have mac and cheese and blue crab ravioli. An osso bucco costs $27. It was one of the more expensive items. The whole menu could probably use a 30% hair cut. They have eight apps (lots of skewered things) six mains, four bruschetta, six flatbreads and six panini. They spent a boatload on the redo. Lots of white, tile and rusted iron fixtures. It is a big open space. The wine list is bit ordinary. They sell limoncello. They'll have a take out window soon. I forget if that will sell sweets or what. As you can see it is a mish mosh. Hopefully, a delightful mish mosh. It will be a "different" Italian experience that's for sure. I can't tell if I dig it or not. They have to nail down the staffing issues though. Hopefully (for them), that was just a blip or lunch issue.

*Travel Notes - Minnesota: Id like to call out a dish I had at Meritage in St Paul yesterday. Eggs in cocotte (a little cast iron dish). Two poached eggs atop a mushroom duxelles in a cream sauce. You mix it all up and dip bread into it. Simple and delish.

No comments: