Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Mito, OIA Area

I tried this Japanese restaurant in the new shopping area (Epic Theaters) off 436 on the way to OIA last week at lunch. I grabbed two rolls (yellowtail and salmon) to go for $5.75 and $5.45. They were long, thin, cigar shaped rolls. The rice was properly cooked. The fish wasn't very discernible. They have another location on Narcoossee Rd. They have been here for a year. Who knew? It looks like the typical modern Japanese boite. I remember undulating wall treatments. Bricks. Black tables. Bubbly water tanks. Smallish. Seat about fifty. A fullish menu. Hibachi, katsu, tempura, noodles. Not bad. Next to that Greek place I reviewed a short while ago.

*I just watched half of food show (Lucky Chow with Danielle Chang) on ramen. I appears as if "men" means noodle. They showed a few "in" places. I missed the name of the firstand the second. I believe they were in NYC. The second was in a market. The first was making dry ramen. Masaramen or something that sounded like that. That was intriguing. They also made a wet ramen with an additional (foie gras) dipping bowl. The market guy did a dry one with egg and pork. Plus a mussel broth one. and a tuna one. He incorporated more seafood in his repertoire. The third one was one called Ivan Ramen. He started in Tokyo. And though a gaijin, he became respected. He made one with cheese and pork. He last group was in SF. Ramen Shop (I think). They did all kinds. Some interesting ingredients were: persimmon, a veggie broth one and some kind of bitter leaf vegetable that I'm blanking on. Anyway, it served to increase my curiosity on the subject. And I hope it will inspire the breadth of choices around here. The dry ones looked especially promising. They also pointed out that the noodles taste if often hidden in broth and continue to cook in it (overcooking).

No comments: