Friday, June 28, 2019

Juicy Pot, West Colonial *England Travel Notes

I tried this hot pot restaurant in Chinatown at lunch on Wednesday. It opened under a month ago. It looks nice, but, the food is nothing to write home about. I tried a simple hot pot even though I really didn't want it. I chose a veggie broth ($4) and udon noodles ($1) and bok choy ($1). The noodles were gross. Already mushy. Defrosted. The bok choy was fresh enough. They have inset hot plates that they place the broth pot on and you add the rest. I also had a pound of blue crab for $11. Three crabs cut in half. They were boiled. I prefer steamed. They seemed frozen. They didn't give you a tiny fork to pick out claw meat. I also tried a half pound of crawfish. They also tasted frozen. That cost $6. A soda can was $2.50. They also sell all the hot pot add ins and lobster and abalone and some other seafood. I just wish the food was as good as the décor. It's white and modern. Fifteen, four pot booths and a "bar" of single seats that runs down one side of the booths. Four tvs. Some wall murals. Another annoyance was the local r & b and rap station they had on. I'm not a big fan of one imbecilic lyrical line repeated for three minutes. "Let me rub you down". Hard to say which is more annoying - mumble rap or 80's r & b. I also would like them to have held back one of the items instead of bringing everything out at once. Soup was over cooked. Seafood got cold. There were four others eating while I was there. You don't have to rush to sample this place.

*Travel Notes - England: I saw a weird drink at a boba place in Manchester England. Cheese in the boba. I guess it must be powdered cheese? Not much else to mention. Yorkshire pudding wraps in Leeds and York. Black olives on a cc and lox bagel. Some kind of empanada/pasty called a Bridey in Carlisle. I also had a mackerel sandwich in Leeds at Mr Mackerel. They said they are big in Istanbul. So, if you go there try and find them.

No comments: