Thursday, June 13, 2019

Sette, Lake Ivanhoe District - Closed

I tried this Italian restaurant across the road from Lake Ivanhoe at the Virginia intersection on Tuesday at dinner. Mesa 21 is their neighbor. I believe the last attempt on this spot was called Stir. I had a meatball starter and it filled me so thoroughly that I had to ask for the chicken cacciatore to be put in a to go container. The meatballs (4) were a combo of beef and pork. Squash ball size. Topped with some basil, tomato sauce and ricotta. The ricotta could have been house made. It was very creamy. The meatballs all had differing degrees of done-ness. One was light and perfect. One was dense and overcooked. The other two were in between at both ends of the scale. I'm not sure what accounts for that kind of variation, but, maybe the oven has hot zones. They were decent overall. They serve them over a bed of polenta. It was a bit congealed. More of an aesthetic concern than a taste one. Served in a skillet. The plate cost $11. The portion could be cut in half. They also have: a sausage and a bread basket starter. Maybe a cheese or meat plate? I may be confusing restaurants. Two or three salads. The dishes were $9 to $11. The chicken cacciatore was made with skinned and boned chicken thighs. They were cooked perfectly. I was going to say "beautifully", but I think that is another British misuse of the word. It should be limited to visual observations, right? Anyway. They either buy freshly made fettucine or make their own. It had a noodle-y. consistency. Like spaetzl. It was ok. The sauce was very healthy and mild. More like fresh veggies (olives, celery, tomatoes, etc) than a sauce. They didn't over salt. Another decent portion. It cost $17. It was one of the cheaper entrees. A pasta may have started the bidding at $15. They had some odd things like a pot roast risotto. I remember four or so pastas. A shrimp dish. Eggplant parm. A filet was $39 ($5 an ounce). There was a pork (shank) dish. Lasagna was highly priced. The pricing is whacky. Some things are a relative bargain and some and quizzically over priced. They only have a few off ramps from the high end. They didn't seem to touch the interior. They did turn down the ac. I believe that was an issue I had with one of the other iterations. Service was good. They have a lot of staff. The place was a fifth full. Two rooms and a patio. They have been open for nine weeks. It's run by the Se7en Bites people. Only open for dinner. Some of the concept doesn't quite make sense, but, I find that fun for some reason. I think you'll have a fine time if you try it. Just don't over order.

*A birdy told me that Mesa 21 is closing. Odd timing. Two big residential developments are opening near there.

No comments: