Monday, July 1, 2019

Grub Crawl - UCF Area: Gyroville (Closed) and Omelet Bar

I went to these places at lunch today. The first is on 50 in between 417 and Alafaya Trail in a strip mall. The second is in the shopping area across from UCF (University) near the McDonald's.

Gyroville - I had a traditional gyro for $7. It was junk. This is a fast food chain from South Florida. It's as if someone took the gyro off the Miami Sub's menu and opened a chain that only sells that. The meat is bought formed into a slab. They don't even freshly shave the meat. It's some kind of blend. Spam. Gyram. The other option is chicken. Wings, Greek salad, veggie soup and falafel burger. And that is it. I'm not joking. They also monkey with the sauces. IE Honey Mustard Tzatziki. Ugh. Open since March.

Omelet Bar - I'll review the meal first and then tell you about some concerns. I had a lobster eggs benedict for $12. It came with house potatoes. It was bad. One yolk was already spilled out on the plate. The English muffin wasn't toasted enough. The lobster was not lobster (sharimi blend). It didn't taste good. The potatoes seemed like they had been left out since the morning rush. The rest of the menu is uneventful. Waffles, pancakes, eggs, burgers and sandwiches. Now let's get to my concerns. The first is the "lobster". I had a chat with the manager and he proffered that it is a 60-40 blend that they buy frozen in bulk. This is more than puffery. It is mis-labeling and fraud. They at least need to put quotation marks around the word lobster on the menu or have an asterisk with explanation. He said he suggested this to the owner and was told to zip it. That brings me to me next concern. An owner with that kind of mentality is not one to reward with your patronage. The place's look (water stained ceiling tiles, clutter, etc) also denote a lack of pride. One last concern. The hostess may have meddled with my soda ($2.50 un-refilled). I may have been a bit snippy (to a snowflake) about being asked to sit at the counter and she looked too happy when she came back with my drink. Let's hope it was just spit and she doesn't have mono. As I said, the look is bit messy. Booths. Two sided room. I would submit that almost every other chain (Keke's, First Watch, Broken Egg, etc) is better. They have been open for two years. They close at 2pm. Too bad it's not for good. Surprisingly not a chain.

No comments: