Monday, July 1, 2019

Bocadillos Cafe, Winter Springs

After the disastrous trip to UCF (read below), I at least had a little luck on my way home. I stopped at this Puerto Rican restaurant on 434 in between Winter Springs and 17-92 and grabbed a steak sandwich to go. It cost $8. It was a pressed sandwich with potato strings, Swiss cheese and mayo. The steak on it's own tasted a bit gamey and grainy. However, the texture and flavor worked when joined by its buddies. I can't guess the cut of meat or the method of preparation. I'm guessing - boiled? It was like tough meatloaf. The serve pork, beef, chicken, shrimp on sandwiches and with mofungo and with platters. They have a special plantain "bun" sandwich. They have a singular fish special. They have wine and beer. Open for lunch and dinner. Seats about thirty. Family run. It's in a mostly (since time immemorial) vacant strip mall behind Vittorio's. Very hard to see from the road. It was a café the last time I checked. They painted it a burnt orange and black. Some painted flourishes on the wall (like the PR flag and their name). They have survived for two years. I believe the name (as I've previously stated) translates to "little bites".

No comments: