Thursday, July 11, 2019

Eola General, Downtown

I tried this market/deli on Amelia near some cross street like Cathcartt (or something like that) for lunch on Wednesday. Near the middle of Lake Eola in between it and 50. They have only been open for four months and already have swapped out the food supplier. So much for the Weekly's review. Why a guy with a week to compose a column is visiting these little establishments lately is confusing. Now (for two weeks) you can get some sandwiches (six or so) on a bagels via Swan City Bagels. I had the Waldorf chicken salad at $9.50. I don't like bagels as a sandwich bread. It really makes no sense when you cut chicken breast into large pieces. You'd have to be a boa constrictor or a Tri Delt to get that thing in your mouth. Even if you split in in halves, the salad spills out all over the place. The salad was also bland. Too healthy. I think they use Greek yogurt in lieu of mayo. And not a lot of it. The bagel was good. Sadly, I could taste it through the salad. Another indication of the total lack of flavor. It came with a side. I tried the potato salad. It was basically three (too large) pieces of red potato with onion and a bushel full of parsley. It was frigid. The potatoes were rubbery. Bland again. I also tried a gimmick they have called a garlic-y pickled egg. It's two pickled hard boiled eggs on a skewer with pickle slices and pearl onions dusted with Everything bagel seasoning. It was nothing to write home about. Sour and salty isn't my thing. Plus old, cold hard boiled eggs aren't either. Maybe a softer yolk would help. It cost $3. They really don't sell much else at the store. Beverages.and some produce. Very underwhelming. I would only go for a bagel with cream cheese. And only if I lived nearby. I am also assuming the cream cheese isn't girly-fied via Greek yogurt or the like. They also have a coffee provider (outsourced). Coffee means nothing to me, so, I didn't commit it to memory.

No comments: