Thursday, July 11, 2019

Proper & Wild, Winter Park - Closed

I grabbed a salad to go at this vegan spot in one of the "locations of death" on Morse (diagonal from Bosphorous) on Wednesday. I believe it was a vegan place two iterations ago. So they either don't think much of history (or past management) or didn't do enough research or really think tastes have changed in a short period of time. The lunch menu is boring. Apps, flatbreads, sandwiches, "burgers" and salad bowls. The dinner "mains" (same menu as lunch with mains in for sandwiches) are more creative. That means they have a pasta and a curry dish and one more burger. I had a Medina bowl for $14. I'm not sure if it was a good thing (because it was so bad) or a bad thing that it was a very small portion. Hardly a half a cup of the star element (pearl couscous). Maybe a fourth. Some rubbery carrots. Charred cauliflower. Acrid taste. The arugula was the best element. It came with a weird tahini like dressing. Every element was bitter. They even added teeth busting coriander seed to the mix. A side shot cup of a harissa hummus (if I'm correct). The designer of this dish is the taste bud equivalent to tone deaf. And I'm judging it as a vegan place. That means it is below soul food in the pantheon of flavor/complexity. They are a branch of another vegan place downtown - Sanctum CafĂ©. I can't remember what grade I gave them. In any event, I didn't expect to like this much and ended up liking less than that. It's a shame because it looks cute. Very white, clean and modern. They had some customers. All women and one dude just there to flirt with the girl at the front bar. I'd like to say I won't be back, but, knowing the location's track record, I will. Just under different management. Maybe those who haven't had real food in an eon will find the food more pleasing. Although, I think my dish would disappoint even them and was one of their weaker efforts. Opened recently.

No comments: