Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Grub Crawl - Altamonte Springs: Antica Pizzeria and Monte Gelato

 I tried these two neighbors tonight. They are in the srtip mall right off I-4 at 436 (behind Twin Peaks). The first is an Italian restaurant. The second is a gelato shop.

Antica Pizzeria - I thought they were new. They said either five or seven years old. They open at 5pm (even pre-Covid). Just doing take out now. A mom and son operation. Roots in Calabria. I tried the spaghetti and meatballs (polpette) and a Calabrese pizza. $17 and $14 respectively. The spagehetti was ok. Either it started out a little overdone and pasty or it became that way on the trip home. I think they make or buy fresh pasta. The sauce was pretty bland. Some slivers of garlic. Some cheese. The meatballs were good. Golf ball sized. Not dense. The guy at The Weekly made a big deal about them. Maybe a little overblown. They said they make them fresh ever other day. I think the mom (not that old) does the non-pizza cooking. They also do a few more pasta dishes. Three rigatoni. Lasagna. I forget the rest. The pizza was good. The dough was very good. I think they use a zero flour. It had a grayish hue. Whole wheat? Good char. Good chew. A bit pudgy. Ten inches. This style has Calabrese sausage. Thin slivers. Pizza mozzarella and fresh mozzarella dollops. Italian portioning of cheese. Alot of crust. Some bubbling. Bland sauce. Like the one on the spaghetti. Neopolitan style. A contender. I didn't ask how hot they get the brick oven. They had around ten pies. They also have other things. Fresh mozzarella and buratta. The place has a brick circumference. Booths on the walls. Tables in the middle. Window up front. Rustic looking. Seats about fifty. 

Monte Gelato - They opened a month ago. About sixteen flavors. I had a cone for $3.75. A kiddie cup was $5. I tried Amaretto. It tasted like marzipan. I don't remember Ameretto tasting like that. Good though. Small store. Gelato fridge up front.

*Some more from the last post: I forgot that they gave me smoked corn on the cob at that place in Natchez. Good. I also tried a pastry stout at that brewery and they also made a stawberry pancake stout. I also have to warn you about buying Uncle Ben's boil in the bag rice. It sucks. Smaller bag than Success (for example). The rice still wasn't soft after fifteen (supposed to be ten) minutes. I think they are doing away with name. It's a start.

No comments: