Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Mr & Mrs Crab, Sanford

I tried this seafood place in the old Smokey Bones location near the mall today at lunch. They opened two months ago. They had a little video playing that said they had around a dozen locations in Florida (one in MS) and a dozen planned. I think this is the sixth type of this restaurant that opened around CF this year alone. Only one so far has been good (the one in Altamonte Springs on 434). This is number two. At least the crabs were fresh. That is the criteria. Low bar, but, four of them couldn't measure up. I had just been spoiled at Peace River Seafood (see last post's travel tips). This place is nowhere near as good. But, they swore they had just driven to Tampa to get a fresh batch of blue crabs and I think they were telling the truth. The meat was firm. It tasted fresh. Now a pound turned out to be two smallish sidlers and a larger one. That cost $15. $20 got me six or seven large ones at Peace River. They didn't sell be the pound, so, I'm not sure if I got shorted. This is your typical boil in a bag place that makes you pick a seasoning . I just asked for mild Cajun, but, it seemed like they added melted butter. Maybe that is implied? It came with a potato and corn. Didn't try the corn. I also had a half pound of crawfish. They copped to them being frozen. Still ok. Came with a potato. They cost $7. The order came out fast. Too fast? They must have some pre-pared. They also sell shrimp, snow crab, clams, manila clams, green mussels, blue mussels, calamari, scallops, lobster tail, dungeness crab, king crab and sausage. Apps. Fried baskets. The usual pricing. They had lunch specials that weren't so special. You basically get fries or mac and cheese. Sodas were a little inflated at $3. They did give a to go cup. They also honored the 10% coupon I got in the mail. Service was good. They decorated it with nets, license plates and plastic fish. The video said they were offering a unique experience. Hardly. There must be a check list they all follow. Down to "replace a chain barbeque restaturant". The bar had a small selection of name brands. That is actually advisable. I always wonder at why they carry all those bottles. I hope they don't pay up front. Waste of capital. The place was too dark. and this was during the day. You needed a flashlight to read the menu. It was also too loud. They had some web based jukebox that curated a bizarre playlist of hip hop, country, rock, etc. This again is something that all these places have in common. The disjointed nature of the program coupled with the volume is not what I'm looking for during my lunch hour. It also left half the place unhappy half of the time. The place seats around ninety. Five tables up front were in use. They had sports and news on the tv. It wasn't the disaster I have grown accustomed to. If they keep things fresh then they will be worth it. If they don't, then it won't. Simple as that. They seem to still be conscientious two months in.

*I will post The 2020 Favorites in a few days.

No comments: