Thursday, December 10, 2020

Grub Crawl - Winter Park: Financier and George's Deli

 I tried these spots on Park Ave about a week ago at lunch. The first is next to Tabla and Le Macaron near the center point of the avenue.. The next is past the Tiffany museum towards the golf course. 

Financier - They opened a year ago. They said the last tenant was a bbq place. I remember it as a bakery. Funny thing. They started with a place near Wall St or Water St (choose one) that I used to go to when I lived in NYC. There is an Impractical Jokers where Murr has to take cigarettes from people that was filmed nearby. I remember more pastry at that place. I had the poulet roti for $15. It seemed like the best value. Sandwiches cost the same and the other entrees (steak frites and entrecote ribeye) were $5 and $15 more. The chicken was ok. Small. Drum and thigh. The skin was dry and a bit burnt. No sheen. It seemed like it may have been reheated. It came with shoe string french fries (a bit on the dry side) and a wilting field green salad in a light dressing. A little more care seems to be in order. The soda was one of those Euro style bottles. I wonder what the unit price difference is for them? I hope they don't think it is charming. Old thinking if it is the answer. The lunch menu has egg dishes ($15+), burgers ($15), salads ($14+), tartines ($12+), quiche (10+) and small plates. They have a full breakfast menu. I'm unsure if they do dinner. They also have booze and coffee. And cakes. Inside is small and rectangular. Four tables of four and two twos in front and a long banquette in the rear. The right side of the room is a bar countertop. Behind it is a poor man's frosted mirror. They tried to recreate the look with a piece of sheet metal. First time I've seen that. Service (1) was good. They had a hostess. Kind of unnecessary. An extra server would have been more useful. There were four other people dining with (around me) me. Most French places have disappeared over the years. I guess it is good to have any choice. Hopefully, Covid is the issue at present. They need to tighten execution up a tad. Still happy I chose it over the following.

George's Cafe - They may impress. Some of the things I saw on plates were voluminous. And they were full. But, I found the menu way overpriced. And It took too long to order. That's why I left originally. I went back for a snack. I settled on a chocolate chip cookie. It was more like a puffy granola bar. It was very good. Tons of chips. Airy. Like a rice crispy treat. It cost $3.50. The menu offers only eleven specialty sandwiches, seven regular sandwiches, one burger, seven salads and a soup or chili. The special sandwiches start at $15. The regs at $14. They also do breakfast. But, only from Th-Sn. Dishes run from $7 for two eggs and hb to $18 for filet and eggs. They have a dish (Eggs Sardou) that I had at Arnaud's in New Orleans. Weird. If I went back, I would probably go for breakfast. They moved here in April from their place (since 1989) across from Bubbalou's on Lee Rd. I'm pretty sure I reviewed that place. I forgot to go back and see what I thought of them. The place is small inside. Grand ma looking. A countertop and a few tables. They have a patio with more seats. Main issue is price. Asking about twice what they should.

No comments: