Sunday, March 14, 2021

Grub Crawl - Audubon Park and Mills: The Salty and Matcha House *LA Travel Notes

I tried these two snack places on Wednesday before lunch. I was going to add the mochi place at the East End Market, but, they aren't open M-W. I separated these from where I went after based on location. They will be in the next review. I just had to get these off the list somehow.

The Salty - A new donut place at the intersection of Corrine and whatever that street is with the 7-11. It's a huge white space. It was (or they made it look like) a garage. A little pergola type structure outside. I grabbed a traditional frosted donut for $3. It was good. Huge. They have funky donuts. Strawberry shortcake, fruity pebbles, etc. They were a little costlier. Nice packaging. Order from a counter place.

Matcha House Tea and Creamery- They opened in June. They sell hot matcha, cold teas with boba and best of all (and should be mandatory) ice cream. I had black sesame in a large, dark black, sugar cone. It was probably water based ice cream. But, I liked it. Never had black sesame ice cream before. Don't recall seeing it. It cost $5. The place is across from a school (Lake Highland Prep pre-highschool?) on Mills. Next to Standard and that Korean fried chicken place. It has a modern look. Order from a counter type place.

*I saw a new pizza place on Mills - Pops. They look open, but, only sell pizza after 4pm. Pre-designed pies and few other things. I think they said they opened in June.

**Travel Notes - Louisiana (really just one day in New Orleans): I walked from my hotel on St Charles in the Garden District (Prytania Park $105 on a Saturday with free parking) to Nola Brewing Co. It was cool. The beer was good. They also have a pizzeria and a guy was boiling crawfish outside. Band too. I had a flight of spirits at Lula Distillery (next to hotel). They were good. I begged a reservation at Hot Tin at the Ponchartain Hotel on St Charles and Josephine. It was Saturday and I was lucky. They turned away alot of others after me. I had three appetizers. They are serving the same menu as the main restaurant in the hotel - Jack Rose. I noticed (while waiting) that even the skinny girls in New Orleans are fat. The apps were: oyster and artichoke fritto misto, crispy pork cheeks in roasted garlic grits with pan gravy and crawfish and cornflakes with corn nuts, cherry tomatoes and lime vinaigrette. All were great. They also had some interesting things like: crawfish cracked potatoes, brussel sprouts in harissa and honey and french hermit oysters. Those were all apps. The mains were boring. It's a great spot on the roof. I think I read about them in a magazine. I stopped at Apolline off Magazine and Bordeaux for breakfast on Sunday. I had a benedict-y type of dish called Eggs Apolline (poached eggs with crawfish and andouille and some kind of pink hollandaise over a biscuit). They were good. Cute place. Thank god I got there early. A line started at 12. I also saw (while driving around) that there is a zoo and a golf course down that way (south of Tulane). 

***BTW - How have the Magic not fired their coach and why haven't they traded for Austin Rivers or another superfluous Knick PG all season? Not that it would make a difference, but, they could try and fool us.

No comments: