Friday, March 26, 2021

Thai Halal Grill, Longwood

 I was inspired by the selective, self-serving, sanctimonious bigotry of a local food critic to prove my purity (and solidarity with the Asian community) by patronizing another Asian establishment. It seems this is the best way to offset anecdotal pandemics of hate that are in no way an effort to distract the public from real issues. I know. You are saying "haven't you devoted a statistically imbalanced amount of attention on them recently?". And I can only respond that equity doesn't mean equitable. Duh! We all have alot more lo mein to buy if we are going to heal this country. 

To proceed on a serious note, I tried this stall in the Apna Market (this seems to be a chain) on 434 (between I-4 and Ronald Reagan) last Friday at lunch. I grabbed Tum Yum Soup and Red Curry Chicken to go. The soup cost $6. It had four large and better than average shrimp in it. Plus tomato, onion, mushrooms, lemon grass and a bay leaf. The broth seemed darker than I remember. It was good. The curry tasted sweeter than usual. I'm not sure if this is a northeast Thailand (where the menu is based) thing or just how the do it here or just a one off incident. And there seemed to be an essence of something Middle Eastern like cumin in it. It was good. Lots of rice. Chicken was a tad less thin than usual. It cost $11. They also sell eight (according to the takeout menu, but, it looked like less on the board in the stall) other dishes like fried rice and massaman curry. Plus a banh mi type Thai sandwich that I haven't seen offered before. They are open 12-7:30pm Wed-Sn. I'm not sure if it is a husband and wife team or what. The cook was Thai. The man at the register was named Khan. I think that is Pakistani or Afghani. He came off as the owner. Worth a try. The have some seating. They opened semi-recently. I forgot to write it down and it seems like four months was the term, but, everything seems to be four months and I could be confusing them. Dementia is the the new clarity.

*I have two more that I will space out over the next week. The last will have NC/SC trip notes. I went skiing in NC finally.

No comments: