Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Grub Crawl - Deland: Bake Chop and Neighbors *FL Travel Notes

 I tried these places in that alley (Artisan Alley) off the main road thru town around two weeks ago on a Thursday (at lunch). The first is in the spot that was previously Dally (sp?) in the Alley. The second is a food truck across from it. I think I have two places in Deland left to review for you.

Bake Chop Artisan Kitchen- I had the chicken bleu sandwich with fries for $15. It was good. A plump piece of chicken. I can't really remember more. I think the ham and gruyere were on top. The fries were crisp. They try for the seasonal/local vibe. It still has the exposed brick interior. Seats inside and out. Not an overwhelming menu. service was good. It was full. You may be lucky and find free parking down the street across from Hyderhead Brewery. In business for four years.

Neighbors Artisan Taqueria - I grabbed a Hipster taco (soft) to go. Just to give them pub. They said they just tweaked the menu. The taco was a mushroom one. Shitake, cremini, and button. Actually quite good. And not in the British way where that means it isn't. They had around ten types. This one cost $4. I would ask for them to hold the cum sauce. Or just get a tiny bit. It overpowered the mushrooms. And added a ton of calories. 

*I noticed one new place - The Table. Sit down with shop above. On the Main St. 

**Travel Notes - FL: I also just completed a five state trip. I'll give you Florida today. I'll spread out the rest going forward. I have three more posts to do after this one. I tried these places in Tallahassee: Bumpa's Local #349, Canopy Road Cafe, Andrew's, Midtown Caboose and Governor's Inn. Bumpa's was an audible after I got lost. It was ok. I had a cobb salad with chicken. I had breakfast at Canopy Road (several locations). I had an ok Mutt's Club. It was bacon, sausage, ham and eggs in toast. I stayed at Governor's Inn on the way back after I found out it was right by the Capitol and only $85 pre tax (remember I get Expedia gold price). Plus the guys at Canopy told me it was a gem. It was cute and right across from Andrew's (the reason I was staying downtown). Andrew's was ok. I was warned by the same people that it was so so. I had grouper etouffe (crawfish, crab and sausage) in jalapeno havarti grits with spinach. The fish was a little pasty. Like they floured it. It then was put under soggy things. The grits were really good. It was a politico place. They were in session. I saw the Gov coming out of a private club next door. I had lunch on the way out at Caboose. There was a sign across the street that said the Marquis de Lafayette was granted that land after the Revolution. Who knew? I bet he never set foot on it. I had a Triple Play. It was ham, turkey and roast beef with provolone and a black pepper mayo. It came with tots. Tots were well fried. A little cheap on the meats. They said they are known for their burgers. I read about these (and Lofty Pursuits) in the magazine AAA sends me. I predict that with all the out of staters moving in that people who live here already will start moving north. Tallahassee, Pensacola and Jacksonville will become major cities with major airports. The proximity to the beach makes it logical. If you see the way they are modernizing I-10, you would be surprised. It used to be so desolate for much of the way west. I also checked some hotel prices and they were already sky high. Same in Alabama. Everyone is on spring break. I also stopped at a little historical spot in Gainesville (Hallie's Homestead at Kanapaha Plantation). They said it was open. It wasn't. Only on weekends. It seems like it is a tribute to slaves. Not sure if it was their housing or the plantation they worked. It's like five miles west on FL-24/Archer Rd. That's the second exit going north. The one with most of the hotels. I was going to try and try Joe Patti's Seafood Market and Alex McPhail's Iron in Pensacola. Got lost. Passed right by. Patti's was on the water front near the minor league baseball stadium. Iron was on the main street (Palafox). Next time. You can take 110 from 10 right downtown. It may be my imagination, but, it seemed like they really cleaned that place up. I saw three art museums for example. will have to stay overnight next time. I also got lost trying a short cut on the way back and drove thru Fort McCoy. Funny because I had meant to see what it was like after taking with some lady on the plane. All the roads up north are filled with bikers. Forgot it was bike week.

No comments: