Friday, January 28, 2022

Grub Crawl - Lake Mary: Frozen, Stackd Brownies, Cocina Maya and Royal Rasoi

I tried these spots over the last week. The first is on 46A. I tried it because I was trying out the new Halal Guys. It is next door. The second is down the first left (Home Depot) off I-4 (I believe that is Primera Blvd) in an gray office building at 605. The third is all the way back towards Altamonte Springs on 17-92. In a strip mall near a Publix that is a back entrance to SCC. It was some Euro themed space last. The final one is in the strip mall on the right of Lake Mary Blvd after Lake Emma Rd. Near 1-4.

Frozen - They sell nitrogen made ice cream (and some snacks like Dragon's breath). Open for two years. I had a regular honey for $5. It was really good. Don't recall ever having honey ice cream of any type before. It's a natural/. Very big scoop. Place looks like a lab. Impressed. I saw that a new Mexican place is going up in the old Turkish place(s) space. El Cochololo or something.

Stackd Brownies - I read about them in the OW this Summer. I think they had the wrong address because I kept checking a newer complex farther down and it never materialized. Finally saw some home made signs for a bakery on the street. Found it because of them. A tiny closet sized space. I tried a bread pudding something or other for $4. It was awesome. Moist. Delicate. It came with some fudgy brownie swirled in. The brownies are all cupcake looking. They are opening another location near the Brooklyn Bagels and Burger Fi at Rinehart and Lake Mary intersection next week. Find them. And you know I don't like sweets much. Open for less than a year.

Cocina Maya Grill - Open for one month. They had a section for Yucatan/Mayan dishes. All were around twenty dollars. That is more than I wanted to gamble. Didn't read as very distinctive anyway. I settled on the flautas for $14. The low mark on the menu. They (2 ch and 2 b) were skinny. Hard. Pretty average. One tasted of dish soap. Very little guac. Lettuce, salsa and sour cream. The place is sterile. White walls. Spartan. A reclaimed palette serves some decorative purpose up front. Not sure which. Tables are very far apart. Bar area. The four booths were stacked with middle aged gringos. I was hoping for more. Trying to be upscale. Only the prices are so far.

Royal Rasoi - The OW screwed me on this one. Said it was new. Has been there for four years. I'm not sure if ever reviewed them though. A quick search said "no". It was kind of a waste of twenty bucks. Although, I did get to sit and watch all the planes filled with Biden's illegals fly past on their way to the Sanford airport. Which is quickly turning Lake Mary into a ghetto area. In addition to being the worst food community in UCF. I had the Royal Rasoi Chicken for $16. It was a Tandoor cooked, yogurt basted breast in a masala similar to Chicken Tikka. Orange. It was very sweet. They claimed the tomatoes do that. Suspicious. It was a big portion. Enough for two. Came with basmati rice. Boiled egg too. Good. Chicken showed signs of being frozen. Huge menu with veg, goat, lamb, etc. Place looks drab and dirty. My seat had crumbs on it. The manager and maybe one piss boy were all the staff they had. Only one other table seated with me. And of course these morons put us back to back. Most purchases seemed to be for delivery. I wonder if that is an Indian in America thing? You see alot of that in India. Guys delivering lunch to the office workers. They said they have locations in NJ. Georgia opens this month. I believe the name of the place indicates a type of cooking used for royalty. Didn't leave me feeling all that special. Oh, if it wasn't clear - it's an Indian restaurant. 

*Probably will have a UCF one on Sunday night. Then a DT one. Then maybe a PSA on how to upgrade your phone (and keep your existing plan) by switching out a SIM card. And one on repairing a crack in your tooth. Why we demanded medical plans and not dental coverage is beyond me. These guys are something else.

No comments: