Monday, January 10, 2022

Pinery, Lake Ivanhoe Area

I'll give us a break after this one. This one probably deserves to simmer at the top for a while. Although, it seems like most people read these within the first day or not at all. I tried this Southern inspired new comer (June) tonight. It is across from Russell's on Lake Ivanhoe. I parked on the cross street. It's the one that leads to downtown. I can't remember it now. Orange? Parking is an issue around here. They say they have free valet in the condo above. But, is it really ever free? They did enough thinks right to probably make the Favorites list. They did enough things wrong to put it in doubt. I'll explain the missteps first. They served the starter and the entree within seconds of each other. This is such a basic faux pas that it should automatically dq you. On top of that, the fries were half cooked. They could have used that time to do things correctly. But, maybe the fish would have become soggy in the meantime. They do know that you don't have to start each component at the same time if they have different cook times, right? My waitress also disappeared for long stretches of time. Not from me. From the room in general. The table next to me ordered six cocktails that took around twenty minutes to be "curated". I didn't see her at all during that period. I strongly believe she watched the bartender make them. That table still hadn't ordered their dinner when I left. Some of them arrived not long after I did. That wasn't the only disappearing act. She never checked back on me during the time I was there. Maybe she was the chef too? Sad, because she was otherwise competent. The tv at the bar also had some hiccup in which it asked the owner to press some button. No one appeared to notice or take responsibility for it. I kept staring at the dead screen and waiting for someone else to notice. It seemed like a metaphor. There only seemed to be one and half waitresses, a hostess and a bartender on call. On the positive side, the place looks cool. They didn't have an attitude. No dress code or wait. The menu was interesting. The alcohol choices were high end. The pricing (excluding drinks and mains) were reasonable. The food was well prepared. I had the smoked peanut soup to start with. sounded sexy. It cost $7. It was jammed with potatoes and tomatoes and carrots. The broth was light and not super peanuty. It was better than I expected. I may have had this once before. It may be a new one for the list. Who can remember anymore? I chose the Rachael grouper sandwich with side over the soft shell crab sandwich. Figured it would be fresher. They said it was Florida born. It cost $18. It was basically a fancy rueben. A female one. I guess Rachael is also a Jewish name and that's why it is called that. Served on marble rye toast. A light aoli with pastrami spice. Another silly reason I chose it. Some slaw. Unlike most of these, they had self control on the toppings. It wasn't overwhelmed by them. The fish was fried perfectly. Just a dusting of cornmeal or something. The fish may have been a little old (slightly mushy). The fries were the right kind/cut. The McDonald's kind. Just not fully fried. Alot of them. Plating was basic, but good. The menu has starters, sandwiches and mains. The mains were things like pork chop and fried chicken and maybe a fish. Around eight items. All were above $30. The sandwiches were things like burger or yard bird. They were above $15. Came with one side. Things like broccolini, potatoes, fries, sweet potatoes, etc. They cost around $4 a la carte. Apps were in low teens. I forget what they were. Oh yeah - Cedar Key clams was one. Around ten of them. Workable menu for the kitchen. The place looks nice. Like a model room from a Pottery Barn catalog. Grays, brushed everything, wood, metal, tile. Plush cushioning. Wood tables. Three big copper "tubs" on the ceiling. A bar room in front. Dining room beyond. Three, front facing booths in the rear. Tables in front of that. Seats about eighty. Patio in front. Lake view. Staff was outfitted. They are trying. The wine, beer and hard alcohol selections were more than "me too". Some wine was over $250 a bottle. Local beer. Mostly Kentucky, craft whiskey. High end scotch. They also have a cool backstory that I kind of remember. The area around Lake Ivanhoe once held a large pineapple farm. They use that story in the name and in the artwork. All in all, I found it superior to it's neighbor - Russell's. I was expecting a similar let down. I didn't get one. Maybe on par with the better American cuisine options in town. I'd give it a try. The crowd was pretty young and affluent looking. Some geezers too. It must have a decent rep. I heard some foodie banter from some of the tables around me. 

No comments: