Monday, January 24, 2022

Grub Crawl - SoDo: Clean Eatz and Crave *UT Travel Notes

I tried these spots at lunch on Wednesday. They are both around the hospital on South Orange.

Clean Eatz - Run by body builders. Open for five months. They offer wraps, salads, bowls, smoothies, flatbreads and same frozen meals. I had a Hammerhead (salmon, turkey bacon, spinach and guac) wrap combo for $9. It came with a few sweet potato baked waffle fries and a drink (tea). It was pretty good. Nice size. Salmon was a bit fishy. Fries were as good as they could be. It's an order at the counter, fast casual place. Modern look. The to go meals were pricey ($19). They have parking in the rear. Across the street from that condo complex down there with the Target. It's worth a visit just to remind yourself that some people still take (honest) pride in their appearance. Even if they are teetering on caring too much. Maybe one of them will squeeze you like the roll of Charmin that you are. Believe me now and listen to me later.

Crave - They offer hot dogs and barbeque and more. Open for two months. They are part of a chain. Maybe out of NY. I was just expecting just dogs. I ordered an all beef dog with chili and cheese for $4.45 and a brat with kraut and mustard for $5. Both were stuffed. Good buns. Chili was fine. Dog was good. Brat was spicy. Good. Big. I veered away from the 'cue because they source it. It may still be good. Brisket, pork and chicken. Sandwiches or plates or bowls. They have pretzels, tacos, tots, cheese sticks, sweet corn nuggets, cheese fries, twice baked potatoes, desserts, salads, corn bread, mac, corn, etc. Plus they have a beer wall. You get a card and it address the wall. Hello wall. Around a dozen (mostly local) beers and a wine and cider or two. The place is lodge-y looking. Small. Rectangular. Three tvs. Patio (and parking) out back. Dogs allowed there. They have game nights. More than I expected. I just fear it is in a bad location. You can drive right past it. Near Pulse. 

*Travel Notes - Utah: I drove from Vegas to Provo. Stayed at Sleep Inn for two nights at $90 per. Stopped in Beaver for The Creamery. A real gem. Ice cream, cheese, food products and even a kitchen. A nice, new, impressive building that you can see from the highway (and I had). I had some great ice cream. Their tiny portion was huge and only cost $2. I had the Jolted Cow. It was sweet cream with espresso and caramel swirls and fudge brownie chunks. In Provo, I had some pre-cooked (dry and stringy) fried chicken thighs at Station 22 Cafe. MP with pork gravy was better. I skied at Sundance for $119. They charge for parking on weekends this year. Lift topped out at $109 last year. Rental was $50 something. Pretty good resort. I ate at Bam Bams BBQ in Orem later on. Delicious brisket and mac and cheese. Big portions. I drove to Salt Lake City to pick up some books at my favorite used book store. I didn't stay over because hotel and lift ticket prices for the resorts around there were high. Plus I learned of two "cheap" resorts back toward Vegas. I ate at Gourmandise. French short rib stew with plum and sweet potatoes and potatoes. I actually wrapped it up for dinner. Stopped south of the city to see the Rio Tinto MLS Stadium. I stopped in Lehi and tried an offshoot of a highly rated place in Orem (wasn't open yet when I started the drive) called Cubby's. I had a Cockadoodledoo (grilled chicken and Swiss and bacon and avocado spread on a Ciabatta). A little disappointed by the choices they had. Across the street was J Dawgs. I grabbed a Polish sausage there. I slept that night in Beaver at the Days Inn. It was $68. I skied Eagle Point (twelve miles in) for $75. Skis were $45 with tax. You had to get to the right side of the mountain to get to anything difficult (blacks). Not a bad resort. I had beef taquitos and nuggets at Mel's Drive In back in Beaver. A big bus or two of  big girl athletes jammed up The Creamery. I stayed at The Mountain View Lodge in Parowan for $106. Should have stayed in Cedar City. Cheaper options. Ate at the Chinese restaurant on site (not many options). Drove to Brian Head resort (fourteen miles in). Had a shit fit when I arrived and found out flex priced tickets were now $130. Started the week under $80. Not worth it. Maybe the $60 it usually is. Drove to Cedar City and ate four eggs, sausage and hash browns at Market Grill. Saw Southern Utah University and an LDS Temple. Arrived in St George. Stayed at The Chalet for $69. 9.2 on Booking. Found a park atop the city (Red Cliffs Desert Reserve) with great views. Toured Dixie State University. Odd. I know. Had beer at 4 Hive Three Five. Had tea at Sakura. So slow I left. Had pineapple chicken curry at Banana Blossom Thai. Lastly, had a good Morty's Burrito (eggs, bacon, fries. cheese, ketchup and Sriracha) at Morty's (Yelp ranked) the next morning. Weather was great. 40's mostly. Sunny mostly. Didn't need the SUV. 

No comments: