Sunday, April 16, 2023

Grub Crawl - Lake Mary: Mr Chuy and Sobol *AZ/NV Travel Notes

I tried these spots in the strip mall on Rinehart that has the BurgerFi on Wednesday at lunch. They are next to each other.

Mr Chuy - I guess not the other Chuy. Never been there either. Disappointing, yet not. I have still never been impressed by an upmarket (priced) Mexican endeavour. Same layout as the last two tenants. The last one was Grato, I believe. Always confuse them and Prato. Maybe extra patio seats in front now. Changed the wall decor to murals. Trying for a modern look. Mostly booths. I tried to try as diverse a selection as sensible. Because the cheapest lunch special was $12. I tried a lengua taco for $5. Raw tortilla and much too salty. Texture/cook was ok on the tongue. Didn't eat most of it. Large size. Next, an al pastor gordita for $6. Tough sope (that they cut in half for these). Tough pork. And chunks. Not shaved. Large size. Finally, a chicken tinga sope for $6. Stringy chicken. Watery bean puree. Better/fresher sope. Still unevenly cooked. Large size. Their free chips were good. Salsa was a bit thin and bland. So, pretty much the disappointment I was anticipating. The menu draws from most regions in Mexico. Not much that is special. Perhaps chilaquiles with eggs and another egg dish I can't recall aren't on all menus. Just because it is breakfast at lunch. They do birria style tacos. That is becoming less of a treat. Ohh..they do burgers ($15) too. Bar. Service was good. They actually had too many employees! This place was seemingly under construction forever. I believe they opened a month or two ago. There are already a few of these on Lake Mary Blvd and 46A area. I can't see them all finding a following. And they are doing burgers next to a burger chain. Perhaps this should have been another kind of restaurant? I can't see myself returning. Ahh (Mr) Chuy, God Bless You.

Sobol - A chain that started in NY that sells acai bowls (granola), drinks and smoothies. They claim all the virtue signals. Free range coffee beans. Locally sourced air. Non-GMO ice. Vegan fruit. Free trade plastic. The Kid's bowls started the bidding at $8 and smoothies ran around $10. I just grabbed a small iced coffee (not bad) for $2 because I'm not really into these things at any price. Just saw it there after leaving Chuy's and thought I'd give it some free pub. It has been open for six months. All kidding aside, the owner was nice. Small place. A few high tops. Order at at counter.

*Travel Notes - Arizona and Nevada: I flew to Phoenix (NS) on Frontier (PM there and early AM back) for $158. This was an audible from a planned trip to a golf tournament this week in Hilton Head that sold out from under me. Rented a car from Hertz for the week at $431. It gave me a check engine light the first day and they overcharged by $15. Soooo mis-managed. FYI - there is a new sky train to the rental area. I stopped in Carefree (on 17N) for some TB and In & Out. Stayed at Motel in the Pines just south of Flagstaff in Munds Park for $104. TV/SAT didn't work. Went skiing at Arizona Snow Bowl for $49 plus $19 ski package. It was much better than I expected. Granted the season has been great and it snowed more the night before, but, it was a surprise. A little chillier (30's) than I expected. Because of the warning light and a side trip to the Flagstaff airport (no exchanges because many people in my situation already had to dump lemons on them because of Phoenix Hertz), I could only eat some shit Del Taco and drive to Vegas before nightfall. Stayed at The D in downtown for $37 plus $34 RF. Free parking. Also, I didn't catch that Circa must own them and you can use their pool if you stay here. Not that I had time to. But, now you know. Ate good carnitas, adobado and cabeza tacos across the street at Tacos & Miches. I later saw at least one more location elsewhere. Bought some wine and beer at ABC. Pretty fair prices. Got trapped by lesbians and horny bartenders (it was a slow night I guess) at Hogs & Heifers. Too many cheap/potent drinkies! Checked out and ate a few pieced of sushi at Kura Sushi  on Spring Mountain Rd before I realized this was the same place that we have here. Went to Wynn Rd intersection to try excellent poke at Hawaiian Style Poke. Checked into the Resorts World Hilton for $101 plus $51 RF. Parking ($10) became free when I signed up for some club they have. Went to the pool for a bit then out to Red Rocks area for LV Aviators game ($25 for a few rows back at third base dugout). Free parking. Spent $28 on a full sized batting helmet full of carne asada nachos and a souvenir soda. Returned and tried lechon lumpia (like spring rolls) at Pepita's Kitchen in the food court. Too hurt from night before to rally. Woke up and got a sausage and egg and cheddar sandwich at Sun's Out Buns Out in the lobby. Drove 95N (two ways in and out) to Lee Canyon Ski Resort. Lift ticket was only $30, But, shitty ski gear was $59. They ran of poles! Line was forever. $10 to park. One of the two lifts went down. Really poorly run. Yet, because of good weather and fresh snow and warm temps, it was enjoyable. Less than Snow Bowl, but, good for 30 minutes from Vegas. That was basically the end of the to do list. Drove back to Vegas and pit stopped at Dan Han Banh Mi and Hell's Chicken on Spring Mountain Rd for a pate banh mi and double chicken sandwich. Most of these places I marked down to try last visit. Got back on 515 from Flamingo. I was hoping to find cheaper gas. Nope. Drove to 95S and Laughlin again. Easter Weekend prices were comparatively too high in Vegas. Stayed at Edgewater for $46 plus $21 RF. Free parking. Took some pics at Davis Dam. Did a walk up the strip. Had breakfast at In & Out. Over the river to AZ and saw the other side of the dam (Lake Mojave). Got some cheaper gas (like $1 per gallon) in Bullhead AZ. Ate Arby's. A few mom and pop places I tried were overpriced. Drove 95S to 10E back to 95S to Yuma. One area had all those RVs like that movie from last year (Nomad?). Passed through Yuma Testing Ground. I think it is an artillery range. Checked into iffy Ramada near the airport for $97. Stay at a lower avenue number. This was on 32nd Ave. Decided to do the "Euro" dinner of cheese, wine, charcuterie (and CA roll) at Albertson's. Actually found some great sales (great feta for $2 and half off antipasto mix at $5 and a good NZ SB I had never tried for $10). Plus tried some veggy combo puffed chips. Ate at sunset by the pool with some Lithuanian kids on their way to SD. Woke up and saw the downtown (Colorado River). Ate chili cheese fries and a hot dog at Hamburger Stand. I think they are owned by Wienerschnitzel. Never been before. Drove 8E to 85N to 10E to 202E to Scottsdale. Stayed at 3 Palms for two nights at $173. Free parking. Cheapest place I have ever found near there. It was ok enough. Had beer at Scape Goat. Grabbed a proscuitto, cheese, spinach stuffed chicken scallopine from Olive and Ivy. Grabbed beef taquitos and a cabeza taco from Super Burrito. Tried to do Pizzeria Bianco the next day downtown. One hour wait. Grabbed a Traffic jam sandwich at Sticklers instead. I just had to try something from DT because I made the drive. Didn't want to sit in plus I parked in the wrong side of town and it was over 90. Drove back to Scottsdale and had beer at Goldwater Brewing. Sushi dinner at Bei. Dessert at Bosa Donuts. Woke up at 3:30 am for flight. Of course flight delayed an hour due to mechanical issue. That's that. BTW gas in PHX area (and Vegas) was almost $5. $3.50 elsewhere.

No comments: