Saturday, February 26, 2011

Cafe Rouge, Sanford - Closed

On Friday I had lunch at this bistro in Sanford. I had Olive Oil Baked Garlic and Chili Shrimp with a baguette for dipping for $10. It was good. The shrimp were on the under cooked side, but, it beats the alternative. There were 5 of them. Big. They were butterflied. The sauce was savory. The plating showed care. The baguette was fresh. The order took a little while to come out. Not a lifetime, but, shrimp cook in seconds. I came at the end of the lunch rush, so, perhaps that provides the explanation. There were at least three cooks for a tiny place so they certainly have the man power. Getting the check was likewise - a little slow. I'll also chalk that up to the time of day. Everyone had probably moved on to their post lunch assignments. Just don't forget about the stragglers. The place is small. It's an old Quizno's. They supplement the inside (30ish seats) with about 14 seats outside. The outside was full. There were about 10 people inside. The kitchen is where the sandwich stuff used to be (exposed kitchen). It works out well. The decor is contemporary chic. The room doesn't feel cramped. The big window in the front of the restaurant helps. They have some interesting selections - Warm Potato Tortilla topped with Atlantic Smoked Salmon and Sour Cream or Buttered Prawns with a Warm Potato and Fresh Pea Salad for example. Oddly, the lunch menu seem to have more of the ambitious/creative options. But, perhaps they combine the two menus for dinner. They had fish tacos and lamb sandwiches as specials on Friday. Most lunch items were under $9 and the sandwiches all come with fries or chips. I found the place wonderful and I can't wait to go back. There wasn't any false bravado and conceit to the place. The meals are priced right and they have given thought to the menus. The variation of meats and vegetables with a nod to different cultures makes this a place that should appeal to almost everyone. They even have a decent selection of wine and they take AMEX. This place gives Stones Throw a run for its money for best restaurant in downtown Sanford.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I took my girlfriend and her friend here for breakfast and really enjoyed it. Everything is fairly priced and I like that they have a fresh breads basket for folks that didn't want the usual eggs and whatever.

FYI, they were on Restaurant.com a little while ago.

Greg said...

I do enjoy breakfast from Cafe Cafe Rouge they do a really good early morning spread there. But I did think that Ask London made a better breakfast when I was over there. At the one I went to anyway, there are apparently a good few dotted all over the island.

Henry the Ninth said...

I went here for a follow up today. It was dirty. The tables were dirty and silverware was dirty. They only had one chef on call. Not sure if this was an anomoly. I didn't stay. I won't be back to find out either. FYI - they have a food truck now.