Thursday, February 24, 2011

Sun Valley Buffet, Sanford - Closed

I had lunch at this Asian Buffet on 46 (in the old Bennigans) on Monday. It turns out that that was their grand opening. The buffet cost $7 and $2 for a soda. It was passable for the dry run. I mostly had sushi. The initial selection was disappointing (mostly gross, veggie heavy rolls and some really old tuna). However, it got better. I had some silky, buttery salmon (actual pieces not rolls) and a salmon skin hand roll. The spicy tuna rolls were ok. The rice is not sushi quality. On the Chinese side, I had an egg roll and some shrimp with broccoli and chicken with broccoli. Not bad. I had some steamed Tilapia (not bad). They refilled the soda (big glass). It had alot (almost half) of American dishes. The Mongolian grill was always a little backed up. I also didn't get why you would put raw meat on a new dish and then give it to the cook and he would give you back a fresh dish. Seemed like a waste of a dish. The place seats over one hundred. It was pretty full. They didn't do anything to the room except clear out some room for the buffet stations. The service was good. Not bad for their first day. I'll try it again in a few weeks. I think that area needed something like this. Good Luck.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ate there tonight. Saw all the cars (always packed since opening a couple weeks ago), but in the end, we won't be going back. Dinner was $13 (not $7; that's only lunch), and I really thought the food was no better than any of the run-of-the-mill buffets. With a few exceptions, most of the food was average. The rolls were soggy and not crispy, the chicken was old, and the sushi was better at Publix. For a lower price perhaps, but not $13.

Unknown said...

FOOD SUCKED HAD BAD PAINS IN MY STOMACH got really sick never eat there again food is nasty and greasy yuck suggest china star not a buffet but great food !!!

Henry the Ninth said...

I also had explosive results, but, I chose to blame Publix' $3.99 chicken dinner. It could have been the tuna. Sushi at Publix is one of the worst deals on the planet. They charge restaurant prices for buffet quality. But, I know what you are saying. I'm guilty of quantity over quality when I have that supermarket sushi jones. That's where the buffet man comes in. I just can't give the MAN at the supermarket that $7 and get a snack pack in return. Sorry if I caused any premanent damage.

Unknown said...

Well I thought the hibachi grill was AMAZING !! Its a little hard to miss since its all the way in the back but you can put as much veggies, meat, chicken , pork, shrip and squid as you want and they will cook it for you with what ever sauce you want. I tried the house and it was awesome. I filled up on that and the sishi ( what ever had the yellow wrap was the best ) and some pork fired rice. Definataly work the lunch price... and maybe even the dinner price.. Kobe is 25$ a plate and it all tastes the same. 12$ and I can pick what I want.