Sunday, September 25, 2011

Lacomka, Winter Park

I took some things to go from this Russian Bakery and Deli in a strip mall on 436 near Yae Sushi (where they won't serve you one of their goldfish in a tank no matter how much money you promise them) on Friday. I had an order of Blinchiki (3 Russian pancakes rolled with ground beef) with sour cream for $4. The pancakes were slightly thicker than a crepe, freshly made and tasty. The beef and sour cream had little flavor. But, Russian food is not exactly famous for its intensity. I also had an order of Borshch (their spelling) for $4.50. Their version is meant to be eaten hot and contains beets, cabbage, carrots, potatoes, onions and beef. Don't confuse it with the beet only cold Borscht. It was adequate. I also had a loaf looking brownie (2) with walnuts that seemed like it had a dusting of minced Cocoa Peebles on top for $4. It was ok. Lastly, I had a commercially produced cheese ice cream bar called Dadu for $1. It tasted like cheesecake and didn't melt in the heat like ice cream. It could be something for the ice cream conglomerates to look into. The place has four tables in the corner where you can eat. It is more of a market/deli. They say they've been at this location for ten years, but, this is the first time their signage caught my eye. I can honestly say it is the best Russian restaurant in Orlando that I've been to. Wait for the rim shot. It is also the only Russian restaurant I've been to or I think exists down here. Some of the dishes state that they have Georgian spices. That and the dark hair and beauty of some of the staff leads me to believe that at least some of the dishes may not be traditionally Russian. And by traditionally Russian, I mean pre Peter the Great. I bring this up not to disparage the more recently but now independent annexed portions of Russia or start a debate as to who is a "real" Russian but to illustrate that you may find a larger selection of dishes than you would expect if I told you this is a Russian restaurant. Holy run on sentence. They have a pretty well stocked pantry with items such as: wild honey, Kvas, herring, pickled what not, pirogi, cheese, dried meats, etc. If you have some Russian heritage or are just curious, I say give it a try. It's not the tastiest food on the planet, but, it will give you an appreciation for what is. Plus it expands your consciousness. They have some sandwiches that have potential.

I suggest they market the fact that they are Russian and a restaurant more aggressivelyon their lit and store front signage.

No comments: