Sunday, September 25, 2011

Thai Villa, Winter Park

I had lunch at this Thai restaurant near a Dance Studio on Aloma last Friday. I had Tom Kha Kai which is a spicy, coconut milk based soup that I chose to add chicken to. It was $3.50. I also had a Thai Beef Salad for $9 because they were out of Chicken Rolls at 2pm. The soup was fine. I could do without a mouth full of bay leaves and lemongrass husks. But, I guess they want you to know how it's flavored. The Thai Beef Salad was ruined by the ignoramus who saturated it with the salt/rice powder/chili condiment that they season it with. The beef seemed to be cooked as warranted. The quality was typical for this dish (which I always think is overpriced for flank steak). The portion was smallish. The biggest complaint I have for this place has nothing to do with cooking. It is about effort. It seems like they have a "take it or leave it attitude". This must have been about the fifth time I tried to get served at this uninspiring, hovel in the middle of a ghetto (the bad side of Winter Park where even the street changes its name out of embarrassment). There was always a problem. They close at 2pm for lunch. They close at 9:30pm for dinner. They are on vacation. It's 5pm and they haven't opened. Always a hassle. This time they almost didn't seat me (and turned away another group of 4) because it was a quarter to 2. Then they rushed me through the ordering process. But, still found time to try and up sell me and add on. Look you aren't doing anyone a favor. You are providing a service. A service that we don't need. Maybe at one time you were the only Thai place around, but, now they are ubiquitous. I suggest you decide whether you want to run a business or not. If not, please hand over the reins to someone who is not afraid to work. The place seats about 40. They try and make it seem like you are in the middle or outside of a Thai palace. They really can't do much with the decrepit location. It looks worn. The food may be good when you aren't inconveniencing them. However, I would only suggest those who live near by to bother. If you don't live in the neighborhood, I would suggest you patronize your local Thai restaurant. It's Thai food after all. Not exactly a difficult feat to pull off.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Easily, the publish is really the greatest on this laudable topic. I concur with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to your future updates. Saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantastic lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay privy of any updates. Solid work and much success in your business enterprise!