Sunday, September 18, 2011

Pint, Lake Mary - Closed

I had lunch at this American Gastropub in the Amstar shopping enclave off 46a on Saturday. I had the Short Rib Sliders (2) for $9. I'll try and remember how they were prepared, but, I didn't pay as close attention to the menu as I should have. I saw they had a website and stupidly assumed the menu would be on it if I needed to reference it. Silly me. It's just a one page site with some redundant information and a form to put you on their email list. Very professional! The sliders had short ribs. That much I'm sure of. It's in the title after all. Then I'm fairly certain there was a bun. Two buns to be exact. A White Castle/Krystals sort of bun. Not sure if it was steamed. There was also some sort of cheese. I want to say Boursin, but, that might have been on another dish. It was definitely a runny cheese. There was also some sort of gravy. There, you have the basics. The short ribs were well braised. The meat was moist and split easily. The portions were large. The meat was double the size of the bun and hung off it on both sides. Nice! The buns were soft. The cheese melted well. But, I didn't love how it played with the short ribs and the gravy. There just has to be a better alternative. Not terrible though. The gravy was savory. It was made from beef stock. Originally I thought it was going to be barbeque sauce and was a bit turned off by the thought. But, it's not barbeque sauce. It is gravy. So it multiples the flavor profile (savoriness) instead of competing or adding that all consuming "next level" that chefs seem to be obsessed with. It came with waffle fries. Which would have been good (waffle fries are great) if they didn't coat them with that insipid starch coating that is all the rage at Burger King. They came piled on a skewer (nice presentation). The sliders also came with a slaw of pickled onions and peppers. It was kind of necessary to cut through the inevitable cloyingness of the dish. Not because that flavor wasn't enough on its own, but, because savoriness can be a bit overwhelming (especially on a hot summer day). The service was good, but, the kitchen was slow. It was partly my fault. I should have expected that the kitchen wouldn't be perculating at 12pm after a Friday night. So on one hand I'm glad it took a half hour to get my food (it was likely freshly cooked) while on the other hand you would think that a kitchen would start prep so that they can deliver food when they open. Maybe it always takes a half hour from order to delivery. I don't think the short ribs were to blame. I wasn't the only table to wait a half hour. I was the third table seated and the plates came out pretty much at the intervals our orders were placed. In any event, the waitress was good about checking in and giving updates. She even gave a timely refill. The place seats about 30 outside and 60 inside. It's mostly high tops. They have a bar. It has flatscreens that show sporting events. The main color scheme is black. It has been open for about a year. I have gone many times for drinks and sampled their cheese curds and mac and cheese before. They were good. But, I didn't think it was enough to write a review about. They serve high end pub food. Mussels, fish and chips, lamb and beef burgers, salads, etc. It's like a higher class Tilted Kilt. The waitresses wear the same slutty skirts. They flirt. They grab your shoulder and call you Hon. All the usual insincerity. However, I can confirm that it is good for a drink or a meal. I just wish they were open for lunch during the week. There is no way I could have dinner there and not get bored or drunk by the time the bar crowd arrived. The cool bar crowd! It's one or the other for me. Give it a go and maybe your patronage will give them the seed money for another page on their web site. BTW. I'm back! If it wasn't already apparent.

No comments: