Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Shang Hai, Lake Mary

I had lunch at this Chinese restaurant in the Amstar shopping area off 46a on Monday. I had the Szechuan Style Chicken "Lunch Special" for $5.59. It was a very big serving of thin, white meat chicken strips in a brown sauce. It came with green peppers, baby corn, carrots, onions and broccoli. They didn't pad the dish with the cheap and superfluous peppers and onions. Maybe two slabs of both. The vegetables were not overcooked (soggy and limp). They added a generous portion of fried rice and soda or soup. The rice wasn't over soy sauced (dark brown) or recycled numerous times (dry). It had a surprising amount of pork cubes and some peas and carrots and egg. You aren't guaranteed that anymore at this price point. It came out piping hot in under two minutes. The one (major) problem with this dish in particular is that I ordered it at a restaurant called Shanghai. I assume they are from Shanghai. Shanghai is known for sweet dishes. Sugar is a main ingredient. Szechuan (more southerly) is known for spiciness. This dish was not spicy at all. There is another band box Chinese take out in Lake Mary (near Taco Bell) that does it properly with a clear sauce. I can't remember the name. However, this was a good Chicken with Mixed Vegetables dish. I can definitely recommend almost anything eatable at this price point. I would have no problem going here again. They said they have been open for a month so I am surprised that they are still turning out this type of meal at this price point. Most places try and win you over in the first few weeks with quality ingredients and oversized portions. Let's hope they aren't still in that phase. And let's hope they aren't in the "we have so few customers that we dump all our about to spoil produce onto the few customers who do show" phase. That would mean they are on their way out. The place seats exactly 12. I know this because they have four tables of four that are each missing a chair. Four people were there when I ordered. About four others came in to pick up orders while I ate. It's clean (I think they are the first tenants in that spot). They even have a sliding door to hide the kitchen. It's half glass windows and half white walls. They have one of those lit up murals of the Shanghai skyline on the right wall. The exposed bathroom in the left corner can make for some interesting sights and smells. But, at least they have one if you develop a pressing need. The tables are black lacquer. They have some unique dishes - Singapore Chow Mei Fun, Ma Po Tofu and Sha Cha Beef. I'm not sure what any of them are and they may just be ordinary dishes with reconfigured names, but, I'm keen to try them. They take all credit cards. Even Discover and Amex. A Chinese takeout that takes Amex? Hallelujah! Lastly, I found the price of the lunch special intriguing. At first I thought it would make the meal $6 with tax. But, it came out to $5.98. Is 559 or 598 a lucky number in China? I know that can be important to them. If not, try and increase their prospects regardlessly. It's Chinese take-out. Don't expect the world, but, don't be apprehensive. And remember the average Chinese meal has around 3,000 calories. Love ya!

No comments: