Friday, December 21, 2012

Aroma, Lake Mary - Closed

I had lunch at this Indian restaurant today. I had the buffet for $8. It was a little disappointing that around a third of the options were consumed and not replaced at any point in the sitting. I had two, new (to me) interesting selections (a fried spinach and fried mushroom dish that was reminiscent of tempura). I also has the obligatory chicken tikka masala (very buttery), chicken curry (a tad watery) and some rice. They also had some tandoori chicken (just don't love the pieces they use for this) and a first for me - soup served in the same metal containers they serve the food. The food was mostly adequate. Management seemed to be the weak link. I already mentioned the reluctance to replenish, but, the tables weren't bused and there didn't seem to be any wait staff. I hate waste as much as anyone, but, you can't charge full buffet prices and not deliver a full buffet. Make smaller batches if you abhor left overs or remove the trays so we don't know there was more available at one time. The place is drab. It's a little, rectangular nook with no decor. There are five of six booth and one side and tables of four on the other. They have a private room that can be and was used for private parties. It looks like a store room and had no heat. I would be embarrassed to have a party there. Now, I'm not sure how much of this is bad management and how much is a concerted effort to keep costs down, but, it comes off as bush league. Oddly, it was pretty well attended by customers so maybe I caught them on a down day. With two other competitors nearby, they must be doing something right some of the time to get what I assume was repeat business. Or maybe some people can just put up with the value proposition offered here. I really wouldn't recommend it for anything short of a gluttonous, blind feed.

No comments: