Sunday, December 16, 2012

Grub Crawl - Hunter's Creek: Flat Rocks, Venezia, Bistro Europa, All Italian

I had dinner and snacks at these places in Hunter's Creek last night. They are in a strip mall on John Young past 417.

Flat Rocks - I had a antipasto salad that was described as a antipasto plate for $6 and a 8" pizza for $6. The salad was surprisingly fresh. The field greens were good. The mozzarella was fresh. It did lack the artichoke hearts and pita squares described on the menu. But, then again it was a salad and not a plate, so you can't expect them to get that right. It was also drenched in red wine vinaigrette. The pizza was also better than I expected. I expected the worst when I heard it was conveyor belt pizza. It turned out ok. The people behind the counter said the place was an old American Pie. I never thought their pies were good, so they must be doing something different. They said it might be a higher quality of cheese or the corn meal, but, I thought the dough was better. The place looks old. They had a TV set in my booth and the controls were pealing off the base board. It has around nine booths that seat six or seven. There are tables of different sizes in between. The decor is wood and tannish upholstery. They have a mediocre selection of wine and beer. The menu is mostly pizza, salads and flat breads. They have some pasta and pub like appetizers. The service (2) was fine. They did take forever to bus the empty tables (no busboys). I wouldn't recommend a sojourn here unless you live nearby. They say it's "Casual Fresh Perfect". I would argue the last platitude. It's a fine improvement on American Pie, but, I sense that it is on life support.

Venezia Bakery - I had a strawberry something or other (a custard like tart) for $3.50. It was good. The place serves Venezuelan baked goods. I was told Venezuela means little Venice and that Venice makes a large impression on their cooking. Who knew? I thought all those fascists disappeared into Argentina after WWII. They have seating.

Bistro Europa - I had a Rotisserie Chicken Sandwich for $7.25. I ate it today. It was fine. I mean it's rotisserie chicken so how bad could it be. I do wish I just went for the whole rotisserie chicken for $8. The sandwich was one breast with a sad tomato slice and a sad lettuce leaf, It also had a side of that abomination - honey mustard. It came on a crumbly whole grain bun. The name says "European", but get real, it's Greek food with American, comfort food sides (odd pairing). They also do chopped salads. Greeks have to learn that they are not European. They are Middle Eastern. Plus, I'm not sure if they understand what a bistro is. This is not a bistro. They have seating (inside and out). It's new, so, it's sort of appealing. It's like a beefed up Subway or a low rent Lime. I wouldn't struggle to find it. It's fine if you live close by.

All Italian Market and Deli - I resisted buying anything here because everything was about 3X retail. They sell supermarket pasta for $3.25 that can be had at the aforementioned for $1. They do have a decent selection of Italian foods. They also seemed to be serving dinner. The place was full. They have three tables in room one and I'm not sure how many in room two because a private party was going on that night. They have gelato. I'm not into speciality stores. I think they are a relic thanks to Whole Foods and Costco.

No comments: