Friday, December 21, 2012

Grub Crawl - Hunter's Creek: Padrino's, El Inka, Rice and Beans, Dolce

I had lunch and to go meals from these spots in and around Hunter's Creek on Wednesday. The first two are in side by side shopping commons on John Young (they say North JY, but, it is in the southern most part, odd) after 417. Rice and Beans is in a large shopping area right before the Osceola Parkway. Dolce is on that parkway near the the Turnpike (east).

Padrino's - I had an Orly burger at this Cuban restaurant. It cost $8. The lunch menu had a wide selection from the real menu, but, this seemed unique. It is, purportedly, from a recipe by Primo. I think he is the chef at one of Hiltons or it is a restaurant in one of the Hiltons (or both). It was a cheeseburger deluxe with sweet plantains. They pressed it like a Cuban sandwich. The concept was ok (Cubanize a burger). The execution was bad. Like most places, they couldn't keep from squeezing all the juice out of the patty. Still can't grasp the laws of thermodynamics. It doesn't cook any faster if you press it. Would you press down on an egg to make it fry faster? Would you crush a grapefruit before you served a half? It was also well done (no surprise) when it was requested to be medium. The combination itself is odd. The cheese and LTO compete or are subsumed by the plantains. It doesn't all work together. Drop everything but the plantain and burger. It came with shoestring fries. It was a large portion and most were cooked enough. The best alimentary offering was the complimentary plantain chips. They came in one of those wire coils baskets with a cone of white paper. I believe they were baked. That application left them with a nice toasty flavor and saved calories. The service (3) was good. Everything came out promptly and politely. I received multiple refills on the soda ($2.50). The place is a bit mismatched. I was expecting it to be a little more modern/luxurious. It looks like they put make up (bright paint and impactful art) on a old IHOP. I'm not sure what it was before it was this, but, I would lay odds that they didn't approve the demure fabrics and layout. The place seats about 90 in the main room and they have a more private, large table next to the small bar. Booths line the main room. It could be cleaned up a little. I saw brooms and spray bottles from my vantage point. There were about twenty people there for lunch. I wouldn't make special plans to eat here, but if you are in the neighborhood and like Cuban, then try it. I was expecting a little more sizzle. It's a fine as a mom and pop endeavor, but, I think they are trying to position it as a top rated brand. More Calle Ocho than South Beach.

El Inka Grill - I ordered one of their lunch specials to go. You can choose from three appetizers and eight entrees. I chose a soup (Aguadito de Pollo) and fish (Pescado Frito). It came with a soda and cost $9. The soup was good. I could live without the bones, but, maybe that assurance of real poultry makes it worth while. The fish (not sure what kind) was good. It even held up to a microwave spa treatment after sitting in a box all afternoon. The frying wasn't oily and the batter stuck to the filet. The fish had a mild taste. The entree also came with white rice. It must have been given a butter bath. They put some kind of salsa on top. The vinegary juices ran into the rice. I would probably prefer them to remain separated. I would bet that they are arranged so if you eat in. The whole lot came out in five minutes. The place serves most of the popular Peruvian dishes. They had some sort of fried calamari plus platter that looked outrageous. The place is fairly small. It must seat around forty. It has a pretty Spartan decor. There were about 18 people there while I waited. It was a mostly Peruvian crowd. I think they want to have a more buttoned up crowd, but, I guess it's a good sign that your core audience appreciates you. If we still had a dearth of Peruvian restaurants around town I would say find this place. But, we have a lot of participants. Still, your belly wouldn't be disappointed if you did make the effort. It's mostly a gastronomic play. I still think the pricing at all Peruvian restaurants is higher than it should be or would support. But, that is my issue.

Rice and Beans - They call this place a "latin" cocina, but, I say it's Puerto Rican. I had another lunch special (choice of meat, choice of starch, choice of rice and choice of beans) to go for $7. I had roast pork, yucca, vegetable rice and black beans. All were very good and the portion was sizable. The place looks like a Quizno's or any other assembly line, take out place. The food lifts it above that. Now, this was another place that markets itself as a higher end place than it really is, but, it serves good food. It also seemed extremely popular based on the attendance. You order at the counter and then sit down. They have a large menu of platters, mofongos, coffee and shakes. They even have wine and beer. I wouldn't seek it out, but, go if you are in the neighborhood. They have a Waterford Lakes area sister establishment.

Dolce Bakery and Cafe - This may have been the hippest, cleanest and best find of the day. It is in the middle of nowhere (kind of near Tupperware so maybe people live around there). It is in a crappy strip mall. It is really interesting (maybe because everything around it is tedious). The color scheme is white walls with black, graffiti like murals on the left side of the shop. The long and beautiful glass counter is right in front. It has all manner of goodies inside it. They have "sandwiches", cakes, tarts, cookies, etc. I had a turkey and ham "sandwich" in some sort of croissant like (in taste) glazed shell. I had it yesterday for lunch and it held up. I also had a peach tart they called a crostate. It must have been made with a thick jelly. It tasted like a fruit roll up. It was open faced with that lattice type top. I'm not a huge fan of un-French pastry, but, there is some real baking going on here. It's so far from civilization that I am reluctant to tell you to find it because your expectations couldn't be satisfied. However, if you are in the neighborhood or going south on the Turnpike, give it a go. And bring back something for your more rational friends.

No comments: