Sunday, December 16, 2012

Kohinoor, Altamote Springs

I went back to this Indian restaurant (on 436 in the strip mall next to I-4 that has the Houlihans) a few weeks ago for lunch. I had been there many times pre-blog. It is one of the older Indian restaurants in town. I had the lunch buffet for $11 ($17 with drink, tax and tip). While $11 isn't breaking the bank, there are better values (Moghul on 436 for instance) available. They also have a more generous selection. Kohinnor really only had three entrees (butter chicken, tandoori chicken and chiken tikka masala). They had a basic salad, the usual side dishes and the starches. The space is far worse than I remembered. It looked like somebody took a two story townhouse (twenty years ago) and put tables inside it. It is broken up into two, tiny areas by a staircase. The front area has the register and about six tables of four. The back area has the bar, two tables for two and a group table. The buffet is on the side wall between the two areas. The service (I still don't know why I need someone to bring me a drink if they assume I can serve myself the food) was fine. Although, they couldn't answer questions about the cuisine because they were Mexican. The place was packed (only one two seater was empty). The big table I sat next to seemed to be conversant about food. The place has been around forever and evidently is still packing them in, but, as I said already, there are better options. I wouldn't make a special trip here now that almost every town has a similar contestant and some of those offer more at a reduced price.

No comments: