Saturday, February 16, 2013

Grub Crawl - Mills & 50 & Maitland: Tako Cheena, 4 Delights, Pizzeria Del-Dio, Sam's Smoothie Shack (Closed)

I tried these places on Mills, 50 and Maitland last Wednesday.

Tako Cheena - I had a Thai peanut Chicken "House" Taco, a Chinese BBQ Char Siu Pork Belly "Specialty" Taco and a Japadog. The Chicken Taco had cabbage, scallions and peanuts. It was fine. A big portion. It cost $2.81. The Pork Belly Taco might have been a tad too sweet. It reminded me of spare rib meat more than belly. It came with cabbage, oil and pork rinds. I didn't notice the pork rinds. It was also a big portion. It cost $3.52. The Japadog was a dried Chinese sweet sausage. I can't say it was sweet. It was a little bland (like a beef jerky without the spice). I had similar (sausage pieces) at the Taiwan restaurant on W. 50. It has a limited flavor profile, but it's different, so kudos. It came with avocado, wasabi, cucumber, cabbage, spicy mayo, scallions and fumi (whatever that is). I couldn't pick up the avocado. It cost $3.05. It was fine. They have 4 house tacos, 3 specialty tacos, 3 hot doga, 4 burritos and some desserts and empanadas. All are really funky. They mix in a host of Asian recipes into Mexican packaging. The one word I keep coming back to when trying to describe the food is sloppy. Not in a bad way, but, in a good way. The large portions and melange of ingredients overpower you (in a good way). If this food were a person it would be Melissa McCarthy. The place seat about 30. It was a third full at lunch. It is near Funky Monkey. It's in an older location (cracks in the window) that has been spruced up a little with metal and local art work. The service (2) was good. A good choice if you like food truck food.

4 Delights - I had a small Guanabana (Sour Sop) sherbet at this location in the Colonial Landing strip mall (near the executive Airport). It cost $3 and change. It's a Caribbean fruit that has a milky/fruity flavor. A small was more than enough. I don't see how anyone can consume more than a small as a meal let alone a compliment to a meal. The ice cream is hand made. They also serve coffee drinks, baked items, hot dogs and smoothies. The inspiration is Venezuelan cooking. The place is big. It could fit 70+, but, they leave the floor plan open. I think there were three tables. The service (1) was friendly. It was one of the owners. It's a little had to find, but, a good option.

Pizzeria Del-Dio - I had a slice to go from this Italian restaurant around the corner from 4 Delights. It was a good NY style slice. It cost $2.50. The place looks like a pizza place in any small town. They have a full menu. I would expect it serve good Italian-American meals synonymous with this class of restaurant.

Sam's Smoothie Shack - I just had a bottle of water ($1) from this umpteenth iteration of this parking lot shack near the Copper Rocket (on 17-92). I was too full and I don't like shakes, frappes, smoothies or floats. That is what they serve. They mentioned some fresh concoctions (I hope from the fruit stand up the road) are prepared daily. Good luck to them.

No comments: