Friday, February 8, 2013

Lake Mary Food Truck Roundup - February: Zest, Twisted Cuban, Mattie's (Closed)

This event took place near town hall on Wednesday 5pm-. As usual, the prices were out sized for what is supposed to be a low overhead business model.

Zest Food Truck - I had a chorizo dog with chili for $6. It was ok. The chili was good. It had a nice honey flavor. The bun stunk. It was old and crumbly. They offered about six things in a southwestern milieu.

Twisted Cuban Food Truck - I had a chorizo/pork/beef burgers (2) for $7. I just tasted the chorizo. They were slider size and topped with ketchup and potato sticks. A bad concoction all around. The condiments did nothing pleasing to the flavor profile. Just a sour, acid inducing mess. The menu is psuedo-Cuban. At least half the items (5-6 out of 10) are Tex-Mex. The prices go up to $9. A simple Cuban sandwich is $9!

Mattie's - They had a stand too, but, they have taken over from the Sweet Shoppe. They sell cupcakes and gelato. I had a mango cupcake with mango icing for $4. The mango flavoring was feint. I bet they used a chemical flavoring liquid over fresh fruit and/or juice. I prefer the subtlety of this recipe to the mis/overuse of fruit essences in many ethnic pastries. Still, a little more punch is recommended. The cupcake had a cream center around golden layer cake (like a twinkie). I don't believe the cake had any mango in it and was misrepresented (I'm sure innocently). It was a good, moist cupcake. They sold around twenty types of cupcakes in two sizes. I had the larger. They have another store in Winter Springs. They have left the place exactly like it was. Right down to the sign on the awning.

No comments: