Monday, February 4, 2013

Zorba's, Universal

I had dinner at this Greek Taverna in the strip mall at the intersection of Kirkman and Conroy on Friday. It wasn't my intention to go here, but, I mistook Conway for Conroy and erred in finding my desired location. I improvised by trying this final piece in the culinary puzzle that is that strip mall. I had Macedonian Shrimp for $13. It was ok. The most firery Greek dish I've ever had (that's good because it can sometimes be a lemon and oregano snooze fest). Some of the shrimp (6) were taut. Some were soft. They were grilled on a skewer (2) and onions and mushrooms (piled long ways) took up the majority of the surface area. It came with some zucchini and squash that were mushy with a hard skin and spinach orzo that wasn't green and had dried tomatoes but no spinach on it so I don't know why they called it that. The menu was good. They had the basic gyros, etc and worked their way up to a whole fish. The prices were competitive. The fish topped out at $20. They had a good selection of Greek wine. The service (2) was good. I did get a little turned off when she suggested I try all the most expensive items. Although, I'm sure they make her do that. The place seats about forty in the main dining room and forty in the bar area (hightops). Once again I wasn't pleased that the manager tried to relegate me to the bar area. There is also a patio (of unconfirmed seating) where some old guys were smoking a hookah. There were about ten people eating there at 8pm. My neighbors all were using Groupon certificates. The make up was a mix of peoples. The decor is minimal. They sponged the wall with black paint over gold. There is some art. My table (and the majority of tables seated with customers) had a wonderful view of the kitchen (left the doors open) and the bathroom. This doesn't say much for the interior designer's (how about a curtain) or the host's premeditation. Maybe it's a passive aggressive "tell" on how they view their customers. I don't rate Greek high on the culinary spectrum, but, it's not a diner quality endeavor either. If you like Greek food then you could do worse.

No comments: