Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Grub Crawl - Antiques District: Wolfies Pizzamia (Closed), Teal's Twisted Bliss and The Hideaway

I ate or drank at these spots on or off North Orange Ave Saturday night.

Wolfies Pizzamria - I had a pea soup to go for $3. They couldn't seat me at a table I wanted at 7pm, so after looking at the menu and the environs, I knew I should cut bait. The soup was awful. It tasted like lemons. The menu is over priced and under represented. If you go, go for pizza and hope it's good. A basic small was $15. Most things cost that much or more. The decor is something Macklemore and Ryan Lewis would sing about. The AC was inadequate (and it's only April). It seats about 35. It was a weird mix of retirees, mo's and noisy families. Pass.

Teal's Twisted Bliss - It's an ice cream shop run by stoners/hippies at the end of the row. I had a small cup of soft serve vanilla (possibly called a Flower Child) for $2.50. It was fine. They have some whimsical offerings like ice cream tacos and they serve some paninis. They also have hard ice cream and gelato. Like the woman in line behind me said, "there isn't any other soft serve place in the area".

The Hideaway - I had two sips of a $2 PBR here (on Virginia). It didn't meld well with the ice cream I had just eaten and the place was a cloud of smoke (inside and out) so I left. I don't get why you would want to expose yourself to toxins. It was a weird crowd of seemingly normal (if low class) people and homeless looking night crawlers. They had food, but, you have to have smoker's tongue to contemplate it. Parking is almost non-existent. Pass.

No comments: