Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pub Crawl - Sand Lake: Miller's Field and Rocco's Tacos

I had a beer at each of these bars Saturday night. The first is in the complex that has Bravo on the corner and the other is in the one with the Publix.

8-8:30pm: Miller's Field - I am not sure if they have have anything to do with the Brewers or Miller's Ale House, but, it's your standard sports bar play. It's a little nicer and the menu is a little more interesting, but, you won't see anything you haven't seen before here. It seats about 100 and was 100% full. I'm not sure if it was lack of imagination (customers') or the NCAA tournament that packed the house. The crowd was pretty presentable. The work staff consisted of the higher end of the lower spectrum of society. I think they just opened in Winter Park too. Thank God. What this area really needed was a sports bar.

9:30-10pm: Rocco's Tacos - I hadn't been here yet because I was there when it was Samba Room and I've been going to the one in Palm Beach since it opened (about two or three years ago). I think I went to opening night. The place kept the Samba Room layout and added their distinctive tchochkes. The feel is Mexican voodoo. They use all that native art work (masks, stars, etc) to give it a sinister patina. You feel like you are on or in a Disney ride. It's fun. They also have a lake view. It's a great location. The guac is usually great (50 cals a chipful). It seats ALOT. It was 110% full at 9pm. It had it all - families, cougars, singles, human fanny packs - you know that thing when you hire a midget to grab you around the waist... I stole that last part from SNL. But, it was a hodge podge. A big draw. I'm not sure if it is conducive (limited mingling areas) to hooking up though. It's loud and hard to sidle up to a group at the bar(s).

BTW - Timpano's Chop House is torn down.

No comments: