Sunday, April 28, 2013

Grub Crawl - I Drive: Terra Cotta, BBQ Tonight and Marlowe's Tavern

I tried these places on I Drive on Saturday night. Terra Cotta is in the Premium Oulets. BBQ is in a strip mall on the corner of ID and Kirkman. Marlowe's is at Pointe Orlando.

Terra Cotta - I had a small pizza for $6. It was damn good for a place that said Red Brick Pizza on my receipt. I'm not sure if they took over for one or this is an upscale version, but, they have a brick pizza oven and though it's gas powered, it worked. The place is colorful and clean. They have TV's in the booths. They serve gelato and other hot foods. I bet it's better than the main Italian restaurant with the plastic menus that is across the parking lot.

BBQ Tonight - This is a Pakistani restaurant that also serves Indian and Chinese food. I had a Chicken Jalferezi dish for $9 and naan for $2. It was fine. A big helping of a chicken in a tomato and pepper ragout. I can't recall if I've ever had Pakastani food before, but, my limited take on it is that it is Indian food without the spices. Not really surprising. They are neighbors. And Muslims like to keep life bland. There was some confusion about whether or not I needed naan. I thought the girl said I needed it to scoop up the meal (eat with your fingers), but, they brought me silverware so maybe it's so customary that they couldn't see why anyone would not order some. The place is halal so no booze. The crowd was 90% sub-continent (black, straight hair) with a few Englishers thrown in. There was one black couple who probably saw the BBQ and misfired. Seeing all the head scarfs originally put me on edge, but, they couldn't have been nicer. Everyone spoke English. They have an extensive menu and everything was affordable. If you have eaten Indian and Middle Eastern food, you can expect similar dishes here. They have a lunch buffet and I think I read that they serve breakfast. The place is divided into into two sections. One looks like a deli and the other like a long hallway. They put the tables against the wall. The buffet area is in back. The decor looked like it was from a time when the place was an Italian place (with added Chinese wall art). It's a little run down. The place was 2/3rds full at 9pm. Indians and Paki's seem to eat late. This is good to know because alot of the places on I Drive seemed to have been winding down at this time. I don't recall hearing of any other Pakistani restaurants in town, so, I guess you have to try this if you want to stamp your food passport. I think you'll be glad you did.

Marlowe's Tavern - I was expecting something and received next to nothing. It's a chain from Georgia. The menu tries to be contemporary, but, it just shoe horns in some buzz words into your average pub menu. The place was closing/empty at 10pm. Hit the ignore button. If there was still doubt about if the shark has been jumped, you know it has when it has been co-opted by big business. Plus you get the benefit of having to pay and wait for parking.

*Side Note - I tried a new place called Hash A Go Go in the old Matteo's locale. They were such idiots about the seating (once again corporate a-holes - the bar is for drinks not food and it isn't the same experience) that I left and have given them a one year time out before I review their formulaic and stupid (Southern) endeavor. I doubt they will be around by then anyhow. And another time out goes to Santo's for being empty and closing at 9pm and not taking Amex.

No comments: