Sunday, April 19, 2015

A Streetcar Named Desire, SSC

I saw this production on Friday night. Once again I won't go to far into it because it has ended. Nowhere has it been more clear to me that community "college" is the thirteenth grade than when I was watching this show. Below high school quality. The main culprit was Stanley. Or the little Filipino? El Salvadoran? mangling the performance. I don't know if he was trying to emulate that James Carville like pseudo deaf person Bayou twang. Duh Dee Down Dan Do or that is the way he was taught to speak English. In any event, he spoke like Helen Keller and couldn't project his voice. The playbill said he wants to go to Hollywood. I hope he doesn't have a problem with typecasting because that will be the only way he sees a set. This production was probably the worst I have seen at SSC and as close to the real thing as the air freshener smelling e-cigarettes they were using as props.

No comments: