Saturday, April 11, 2015

Pizza 1905, Lake Mary

I stumbled on this new (one month) Italian restaurant in the strip mall off Lake Mary Blvd that has the new Academy sports store yesterday. It's near the Chinese place in the back corner. I had a slice for $2.50. It looked a little too old on the shelf, but, gained a little life after reheating. It had the weirdest cheese. They say the use "1905" cheese on their menu. The mozzarella did taste a little off too, but, I swear they put a layer of ricotta under it. All in all it wasn't a bad slice. Tasted a little like quiche. They also have Sicilian/pan slices, deep dish, stuffed pizza, baked wings, sandwiches, rollata, lasagna, calzones, stromboli, garlic knots and dessert. The place has a modern feel. It seats around twenty. It's not a chain. Most things start at $8. They have lunch specials. They have a picture of the Brooklyn Bridge on the menu. I wonder if it opened in 1905 and hence the name. The place looks like it is still being built. A little unkempt. A step up from Digino's.

*4/24/15 - I went back today. I had a Heart Attack sandwich for $8 and the two slice and soda lunch special for $5. The sandwich was sausage, meatball and bacon and mozzarella. All were good. It didn't have much sauce and what sauce there was tasted like ketchup. The roll was really good. The pizza was better this time. No ricotta-ness. Plus it was only $2, so, I must have received some weird special one last time. Nice, thin, large slices.THEY asked ME if I wanted a refill on soda! I found out that it is owned by the guy who owns Ravalia's. They moved the pizza part over here. Some of the things like lasagna are not available, but, may be  at a later date. It's understaffed. I heard the main cook tell someone that the wait for a delivery was an hour and a half. No wait in house though. I also found out that 1905 was the year the first pizza parlor opened in NYC (Lombardi's).

*8/27/16 - I've been back three times this year. Quality is off. The place looks like a pig sty. They sell Jamaican beef patties now. If that gives you an idea of their thought processes. The frozen orange ones you get at the supermarket. Just another pizza place now. I think they changed ownership.

No comments: