Monday, April 20, 2015

Shish.Co, Maitland

I had a doner (gyro) bowl to go for $10 from the latest tenant of this Fotohut (or was it Fotomart?) in the strip mall that has Copper Rocket. I say Fotohut because they used to be a place that had these box stores that you dropped your film off at. Film is a thing you used to take selfies with. Except you didn't take them of yourself. You took them of other people and places and called them Instagrams. I mean pictures. This structure has been about a zillion things over the year. Some smoothie shop I think was the last placeholder. I found no problems with my meal. The beef and lamb mix was tasty. It came with a rice blend (I think it had some orzo in it. I put that in the fridge and can't remember), tomatoes, onions in spice (sumac?) and a pita at the bottom of the to go box/bowl. It became a little oily. They call and spell the pita lavas. I'm used to seeing the bread called lavash. It's a large, thin pita. They have six man dishes (meat) and four girlie (vegetarian) dishes. Doner, kofte, ribeye shish, chicken shish, lamb chops and cheese steak for the boys. Falafel, zucchini pancakes, fried cauliflower, "egg rolls" for the girls. Calm down. I know you male vegetarians get all emotional when people (I mean bullies) tease you. Muy macho. I don't know how these stereotypes get started. So we are clear, men can order the other menu too. And wear dresses at Coachella too. And be a pretty birdie. A pretty pretty birdie. Back to the food. The meat dishes seem to be available in a french roll (cheapest), pita and a bowl. The veg seem relegated to a pita. Take that sexism up with the owner.  They also have soup, salads, dessert and five cold apps. They cater and deliver. They have two picnic tables to eat at . Not bad for a place that used to have Chong and Hyde (70's show reference) developing dirty pictures in it. And by developing dirty pictures I mean - getting high. There's a lot coming out of what boils down to a broken food truck. I think Turkish food is under represented around here, so, this is where you'll be if you don't want to venture onto Park Ave. They have been open for about a month. There was some action at 2pm. It must have some word of mouth already.

No comments: