Monday, October 31, 2016

JB Boondocks, Howey in the Hills

I had lunch here on Saturday. I went through Mt Dora onto 19 south and over a bridge and down about a mile where I made a left at an intersection (Mission something golf club) and made a left at the center of town and another right onto Lakeshore Blvd. It is on a lake called Little something or other (Chain?). There is a billboard for the place about six miles away. They really should have another further on because you can drive right by it. The meal was pretty surprising. The place (and name) doesn't inspire you to aspire. But, the muffaleta sandwich (suggested in an article I read) I had was darn good. It differed from a classic muffaleta in that the roll was more of a soft square ciabatta roll than tougher, round bread they usually use. This was an improvement. The meats were above average. The amount of olive tapanade wasn't as overwhelming as it can be. The mozzarella didn't offend. It was served warm (non-nuked). They also offered up a side. I chose fries to see how they would do them. They were fried well. Even some crunchy ones. However, they added that infernal starch coating and the fries were made of what I assume is mashed potato mix formed into fries. It cost $10. The menu has a New Orleans flair. Po' Boys, Stuffed Red Fish, etc. Yet when I asked the waiter if the restaurant had some connection with The Bayou, I got a blank stare. Either he wasn't instructed on that front or it is just a coincidence. The rest of the menu is Italian and American. Most sandwiches were $10 and entrees started at $16. A little pricey if the food was no good. Acceptable if the rest of meals comport with mine. The apps were in the high single digits. The place has a bar and an enclosed patio on the lake. There is also an outside patio on the lake. It was almost full. I would estimate seating at 90 in all. Service was quick. The vibe is casual. Lots of middle aged bikers. The blue collar kind. Not the drunken brawler type. It's a nice drive and the town of Yalaha (sp?) is a mile away. The town is tiny, and from I learned from my menu, it was incorporated in 1925. The lake is clean and almost unbuilt upon. A very restive experience. It didn't hurt that it was about 80 degrees and sunny and dry. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon (drive included).

No comments: