Friday, October 14, 2016

Jimotti's, Sanford

I had lunch at this Japanese restaurant on 17-92 in the oft abandoned spot (that most recently served as Vayda's Gypsy Rib Ranch) on Wednesday. It simultaneously pleased and disappointed me. The pricing was a bit excessive. $3 sodas. $35 eel. $14 sushi lunch specials. It's an odd spot for an upscale venture. I'm not sure if this is the locale for this type of play. Even if the chef has Morimoto on his resume. I settled on the Bento Box for $15. It offered a sample of the most offerings. I wasn't in the mood for the more reasonable items (burger or soba at $9). The box consisted of a miso soup (thick and salty), tempura (half a shrimp and veg), fried chicken, salad, spicy tuna (or Cali) roll, and two pieces of albacore and salmon sashimi. The salad was good. It was a mixed green melange in a vinaigrette with corn on top. The chicken was cooked through. Tasty. The rice was strange. Small kernels. Over cooked. The salmon was a bit spongy. The albacore was true albacore (not escolar). The cuts were big. I also tried a piece of yellowtail and ahi tuna sushi at $3.50 a piece. The cuts were long. The fish was fresh. The rice was sub-standard. So, like I said, I'm torn. Is this place worth the upcharge? The decor is modest. They have done little to this shack other than hang a few free beer signs and maybe hang a string of lights. The menu is interesting. Not just plain sushi restaurant fare. However, the rice and quality of some of the fish was questionable. I'm not sure that they can attract enough of a following among the locals to support their venture. It, possibly, could survive in a more upscale neighborhood, but, why here? The quality isn't superior enough to tempt many gastro-snobs. I do applaud the chances they take with the menu and the beer and sake options. I just think it will be too expensive or esoteric for the neighborhood. I spent over $30 here for lunch and I wager that when I go to Morimoto in a few weeks that I will get a superior meal for less. There were only four other people eating with me at lunch. Plus the name evokes Italian, not Japanese. I think they needed to do a bit more research before they chose a location. I would not be surprised if the opened in a better location in the future (Chef Sennet's downtown is now available). They have been open since June.

No comments: