Monday, October 31, 2016

Grub Crawl - Mt Dora: Cody's on Fourth and Street Corner Eat + Drink

While picking up some hard to find used books at Barrel of Books and Games in town on Saturday, I knocked these two of the list. The first is in town on 4th Avenue and the other is on the edge of town where the road out leads to 46. 

Cody's on 4th - I just grabbed a cinnamon pecan cake to go because I had already eaten and they looked like they were closing and the meals all looked over priced and just looked "assembled" in nature. It was a good cake. Moist. I would be impressed if they made it. I doubt it however. It cost $5. They ask $2 for as can of soda. The place seats about twenty. It looks like a woman's deli/cafe. 

Street Corner Eat + Drink - I've been itching to eat here for over a year. however, I have always hit it when it was closed. It's a place I love before I take a bite. It's in an old gas station. I believe it has been a hot dog place and a pizza place in earlier iterations. Now it's bbq+. Burgers, street tacos, hot dogs, wings, hot sandwiches, etc. But not ordinary. Kicked up a notch. The chef must be from NJ because they have a "ripper" hot dog (search Rutt's Hut), macaroni salad, a burger with Trenton pork roll, as examples. I was just going to grab a taco because I was stuffed, but, I went with a cheese burger (the small one) and two wings (can order by the wing) because I thought it might tell me the most about their cooking abilities. I wasn't disappointed. I ended up scrapping my dinner plans for it. It was a hand formed, 1/4 lb burger made from brisket, chuck and short ribs. They cooked it perfectly. The bun was nice and glossy. The veg were a little blase. Didn't really matter. It cost $7. The big guy (1/2 lb) is $9. It came with fries. And though the were my second least favorite type (skin ons), they almost got them to fry enough. Huge portion. Had them for dinner on Sunday. The wings (one drumette and one wing) were also very good. They smoke them. They don't over smoke them. A nice, subtle flavor and moist. A buck a piece. On the taco side, they offer up smoked chicken, wild caught mahi, chipotle carnitas, Korean beef and Philly rib eye. Plus they had a brisket special one. The dogs could come with slaw or street chili or your way. The sandwiches (5) range from Prime Rib to tomato bacon melt. The "apps" also include chicharrones (huge plate) and (best ever) chili. You can get fries with five toppings. They have salads. Most things cost between $8 and $16. They have a cheaper kids menu. The have waitress service. Seating is limited to around six picnic tables. Service was quick, but not alarmingly quick. A great stop in a fun location. They have been open for two years. All the people I talked to while waiting couldn't say enough about the place. Can't wait to go back. They have beer too.

No comments: