Saturday, November 26, 2016

Morimoto Asia, Disney Springs

I had dinner on Thursday at this eponymous restaurant. I had boasted a few weeks ago when I reviewed Jimotti's that I would spend less and have a better meal here. I would have been wrong on both counts if they didn't comp a fishy tuna tartare app that I disliked. Let's see how that happened. And this says more about Morimoto's failings than Jimotti's blessings. Since it was Thanksgiving, they were monkeying around with the menus. I wasn't even aware that there was a separate sushi menu until after I ordered. I went with the aforementioned tartare at $12, pork dumplings at $11 and a yellow tail roll at $12. The tuna came in some sort of dashi/cold broth. I'm not sure if I was supposed to mix the tuna in and drink it or what. The tuna was too pureed. Mouth feel of puss. It tasted fishy. They claim it is supposed to. A third of the small sized Dixie cup worth. Terrible. The pork dumplings (4) were over steamed. The pork had no flavor. One on the dumpling's seals was broken. Pathetic. The yellow tail was also a ghastly puree. They could be using fish heads for all we know. The rice was good. Obviously $12 is two times too high for even something of this quality. Strike three. It's a shame because I love Morimoto. I knew about him before he crossed the Pacific. I went to his first restaurant in the first month it was open. This offering is alot less Japanese than I expected. I missed the "Asia" subtext. Maybe those dishes are better. I walked by the sushi bar and the quality and selection wasn't anything to write home about. I do have to warn that a $6 bowl of laksa in Singapore will run you $24 here. The same with the rest of the rice and noodle dishes. The place does look nice though. Super high ceilings with white lanterns hovering over the main dining room. The vibe is that kind of Japanese sparkly deco that you seem to need to use if you have a high end Japanese venture. There is a bar up front. It is really an afterthought. The bar above it is less of an insult. The sushi bar and some private rooms/cabanas and patio are on the second level. You take an impressive staircase to them. I believe the occupancy sign said 282. The bathroom has as many diaper changing tables as toilets/ One. I'm not sure if I would return. It seems like a hard reservation to get and I don't really care how a Japanese guy re-imagines Asian cuisine. I will go to the source for that. I especially don't want to pay through the nose for it. I'm no "comfort girl". Even if I paid $3.50 for a soda. Oh, and I forgot to add that I spent the rest of night burping up an odor that usually is reserved for a Tri Delt's easy bake oven. They opened last year at this time. Avoid.

No comments: