Saturday, December 3, 2016

Grub Crawl - I Drive: Oreganatta and Halal Food Express

I had lunch at these places near Wet 'N Wild on Wednesday.

Oreganatta - I had the "Italian" buffet for $9 (+$2.59 for a soda - got to get that extra 9 cents). It was like eating at a reverse Sweet Tomatoes. Here the bread sticks and pizza are the stars and salads and soups are what you end up eating. I had a smidgen of pasta (for you) because you could see that it was over boiled. Looks did not deceive. I put a little Bolognese sauce on it. It was also terrible. When you stirred the sauce, hunks of beef (?) the size of turds bubbled up. I had a few slices of the regular and pepperoni plate sized pizzas. They seemed to be conveyor belt pizza. Very salty cheese (?). I also tried a garlic knot. And that is all the "Italian" (minus a minestrone) that was to be had. I expected a shitty lasagna at least. Maybe a greasy scallopini. I just piled up a few things from the salad area and called it a day. Pathetic. And perhaps why I was the one and only customer at lunch rush. The decor is even less Italian. Unless Marilyn Monroe was really Marla Maroni. It looks like it was some kind of Americana theme before they took over and they didn't remodel. I don't remember that place. I think it was a Filipino restaurant the last time I ate there. They seem to running the place with a two person staff. Skip.

Halal Food Express - I grabbed a chicken shwarma to go while waiting for Oreganatta to open. It cost $7. It was ok. It didn't seem like it was "shaved" from a rotisserie. Kind of like chicken pieces cooked in a pan/wok. There was a lot of it and it didn't give me the squirts. Not much veg or hummus or tatziki in the roll. They also serve pizza, falafel and gyros. Their sign highlights PIZZA as the word. You would think that was the restaurants name. People were friendly, but, can't recommend for anything more than a desperation snack. Not much to look at. Open for four years. Owned by Palestinians.

No comments: