Sunday, December 4, 2016

Taco Twist, W. Colonial Dr (50)

Part two of plan b of last night's evening directed me to this new (four weeks) Mexican/Korean restaurant about two blocks east of the I-Sore Death Trap on 50. It has been everything from an Italian place to a Chicago beef place. Most recently it was a bbq place. They now offer bulgogi, hot stone bowl rice, dumplings and a fried kim chi pancake on the Korean side and soup, tacos, burritos, chips, fajitas, quesadillas and burritos (maybe chimis and enchiladas) on the Mexican side. The Korean stuff is the more expensive ($10-12). Tacos can be had for $2.50 (other stuff around $8). I had three of them because they had some deal where you received a free drink if you did. Since they had no reservations comping the beer I had already ordered, I did that. I had a beef and a pork in soft shells and a hard shelled chicken. All were very good. They also offer shrimp. They probably should toss the flour tortillas on the grill (and maybe double wrap). However, the beef was actual flesh (not ground beef) and it and the carnitas style pork were both succulent. They also gave you a big serving of both. They topped them in an Tex Mex style. Tomatoes, lettuce, store bought shredded cheese mix, crema and even a little guac. They weren't quite lunch room tacos. Not quite street tacos. They were authentic enough to probably straddle the line. The hard shell seemed to be fried in house (as were the fresh tortilla chips). I think they filled the taco with chicken and then fried it. It was a good textural diversion, but, I would probably go soft shell next time to get more chicken. They didn't do anything to the decor. Same as when it was the bbq place. It was pretty full for 9pm. They drew from most ethnicities. My car wasn't broken into. Always a concern when you go to a place that has a tape measure on the door for identifying criminals. I believe the husband (with help) is responsible for the Mexican dishes and the wife for the Korean. Service was polite and efficient. The food came out quickly. They speak English. It was better than I expected. They are open for lunch as well. Parking in the rear.

No comments: