Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Viet-Nomz, Winter Park

I popped in here before dinner on my way to the airport early last week. It's in that decrepit strip mall on University near Goldenrod. It was last a South American run sushi place and Thaitanic before that. I think they said that they opened in July. I had a Banh Mi for $5 because I didn't really have stomach room for a big bowl of soup three hours after I ate lunch plus it is harder to find a banh mi than a pho at this point in time. I also ordered some spring rolls ($3 for 2) because I felt cheap just dropping a fin. The banh mi I had was pork. They also do steak and chicken. It was pretty bad. It was the stringy slices of pork that you'd expect from takeout stir fry Chinese. The pork tasted like liver. The vegetables weren't fresh. The bun looked alarmingly like the ones I buy at Winn Dixie. I would say the pork was spoiling but I didn't get sick. Hopefully they have some explanation for this that doesn't involve the SCPA. The spring rolls weren't the usual size. They were the size of egg rolls. Now I leave it up to you if that (more) makes them better. The ground pork in those also tasted of liver. They were greasy too. I won't be too hard on them because I have heard that pho is really the thing to go here for and the bowls I saw looked good. They did a little to the decor. They tacked up some weathered wood boards on the walls and added a communal tables. They can seat around twenty. It was pretty full for that time of day. It's an order at the counter type of place. They then deliver the food about two feet from the open kitchen area aside the cash register. Can places make up their minds if they are full service or not. These half measures are bs if you expect me to tip. The phos seem to be the most expensive items. I think they were in the $10-$12 range. I saw on Bizarre Foods that pho is a bastardization of pot au feu and that is why you pronounce it phu and not fo. No idea why this is another on a long list of phonetically spelled words that don't seem to be spelled as they sound. The thing I liked best about this endeavour is the sandwich/pho combo. Hard to find a place that offers both. Now it would help if the sandwiches were actually good. That aside, did we need another pho place? Maybe this area did. No real reason to go out of your way to sample this one. Best thing about them is the name.

No comments: