Friday, April 13, 2018

Caro-Bama Bar-B-Q, Downtown - Closed

On that same trip ten days ago, I stopped here for a to go meal. I had the Kitchen Sink for $12 to try as much as possible in one go. It is a sandwich comprised of brisket, pulled pork, chopped chicken, slaw, jalapenos and their two sauces. It also is supposed to have banana peppers, but, I passed. It was a huge sandwich.on a brioche aspiring bun. The brisket was excellent. Barky. Lean. The chicken was a fluffy disaster. As was the pork. They both seemed old. Like eating sawdust. Dry. Inorganic. The sauces are a sweet home sauce and a spicy Bama white sauce. Everything was jumbled together. It was hard to isolate the flavors. I had some before my trip and froze the rest for a week. It held up. Kinda. I had an issue on the plane after I ate the "fresh" batch. It may or may not have been the cause. I had another issue after eating the week old batch. It may or may not have been the cause. Let's hope that it was just found in bad company and not the prime agitator. My only worry is that the two components seemed so worn out and the place was kind of empty. Could they keep their meats around too long? Let me know. They are new. Four weeks. They are in the that space on North Orange that was a Canadian coffee joint most recently. I thought it was going to be in the old North Quarter Tavern spot. It is a few feet away. The menu is short. Three pulled pork renditions, one brisket, one chicken and one more melange. Four sides. Five Sauces. I think they kept the coffee machines. They did a little to the decor. I think some wood accents. Modern. Service was friendly. Counter ordering. Parking is a bitch. I used a side street with a train crossing. I liked the brisket and the portions. If they can fix the relatively simply chicken and pork preparation then we might have something. It will take another visit to sort this one out. Open only 11-3.

1 comment:

evan said...

They have a food truck and everything I've gotten from it has been excessively salty. Firm pass.