Monday, April 16, 2018

Lisbon, I Drive - Moved to Dr Phillips and Sand Lake Rd

I had lunch at this reboot of a Brazilian sushi spot in the shadow of the Orlando Eye on Wednesday. It is now a straight up Portuguese play. I had their chicken soup and the octopus salad. Nether were great. The soup was like a Greek avgolemono with out the lemon. I'm not sure if the grain was rice. It was very abused (fluffed from stirring) if it was, It was also very salty. Another imbecile that has to be told that you add salt AFTER the stock has been reduced. It cost $5. The octopus salad was less of a salad than I was expecting. It was octopus hunks on a bed of diced onions, green pepper and parsley. They weres not something I would want to EAT and excessive if a decoration. The octopus was extremely flabby. I'm not sure if I have been mis-served octopus for my whole life or it was always supposed to be this soft, but, I didn't like it. The outer skin was soft and gelatinous. It was peeling off the meat in my mouth. It had an unpleasant mouth feel. Like eating marrow from a bone or cubes of fat. It left me nauseous. It cost $16. It may have been the cause of stomach issues. The rest of the menu is very bacaloa centric. It must be half of the pages of the menu. I'm part Swedish and even I think cod is disgusting. Let alone reconstituted, salted cod. Prices are all over the place. They had lunch special plates for $7 or $28. Any app from the sea was in the teens. A soda was $3.50. Almost as much as the soup! Hard to choose. Pony up and be disappointed or cheap out (and be disappointed with the selection) and lessen the risk? The place is similar if not unchanged. Three rooms. A bar up front. A main room. An overflow or private room on the right. It is painted in white a steel gray colors. Plates and photos on the wall. The chairs are dark brown. This type of fare isn't destination worthy. Maybe go for a cheap chicken, beans and rice special. But, who would go out of their way for that? I think they want to be fancy, but, accessible. That leads to multiple personality disorder in people. They need a better chef (or ingredients) or a price adjustment. I'd be hesitant to advise that the higher price dishes will be worth what they feel the are. But, I didn't try them, so, I may be off base and the octopus was an outlier. I don't want to savage them because at least they didn't reform into an Italian, Mexican or poke joint. And they did serve free (under baked) rolls. Service was fine. There were a few other customers. Parking is free.

No comments: