Friday, April 13, 2018

PR's, College Park

Back when things smelled like teen spirit and an anonymous miscreant was letting dogs out, a small coterie of establishments held sway in Winter Park Florida. These included Dexter's, Harper's Tavern, Fiddler's Green, Panullo's (then a fast food joint), The Mill (now the bridal shop) and this place. I'm not sure how long it pre-dates that time period. I ran across this second location trying to get to that lakeside seafood place a few weeks ago, They have been hidden here for a few years. It's all the more important since they closed the original near the tracks. I have to admit that I hadn't been back to that location since I zooma zoomed zoomed with a boom boom. The small parking lot and influx of new Tex Mex places made it impractical. However, it was my loss. I don't really remember how much I enjoyed the old place, but, I really liked what I had here. It's not gourmet. It's just good old fashioned Americanized Mexican food.

I went on a Tuesday at lunch and that made it Taco Tuesday. I decided to sample a little bit for your edification. I had a shredded beef, shredded chicken and ground beef taco. All were $2. I think the regular price is $2.50. The beef was the best. Smokey. Likely brisket. A barbeque tasting taco. A big portion. The chicken was also expansive. I think they dipped it in a spicy, black peppery broth. The ground beef was the worst. Clumpy. Flavorless. All came with lots of shredded cheese and veg. The soda cups were large. The rest of the menu is familiar. Burritos, fajitas, chimis, fundito, salads and a host of specials. The apps even range to wings, chili and potato skins. The most expensive thing is $16. Most below $10.

Service was sassy and attentive. The place looks like a garage. The have a little outdoor dining area. The garage doors were open. It's decorated with junk. They have a big bar in the front. Parking in the back (limited). It seats about ninety. It was pretty full. I wish they had become what Tijuana Flats has become. If I lived here I would be here once a week. At least. Good value. I'm glad I took a refresher course. They are just past Edgewater on the right (on Princeton). A semi-remarkable place in an ordinary world.

No comments: