Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Pub Crawl - Sanford: Deviant Wolfe Brewing, Tuffy's, Da Kine Poke and Inner Compass Brewing

I came down here yesterday night  because I was told that the first place served food. They don't. So, I decided to not waste the effort and try their beer even though it was a school night. They told me about the second place (had food) and that a place I was waiting on (the third place) had opened. I guess I came on a Tu or W last time and that's why they still looked under renovation.

Deviant Wolfe Brewing - They are next to the Tennessee Truffle on 1st St. A square room with a bar in the rear. They serve their own quaffs and a few others. I tried five (IPA, APA, Stout, Sour IPA and a Sour. They were all good. Only Sour IPA I have ever heard of. It was good and I don't enjoy sours. The bartender was knowledgeable and personable. They have been open for two months.

Tuffy's - Started by the Central 28 people. They serve their beer, other beer and the cider (singular) they ferment there. I had a glass. It tasted like apple juice. No fizz. No zing. No alcohol? I really came for the poke truck (Da Kine Poke) out back. I had a Hawaiian Bowl for $14. It was fresh. It is the only way poke should be served. Sesame oil, soy sauce, onion and seaweed salad. You can actually keep the seaweed and onions and the rice. Just give me tuna, sesame oil and soy sauce. This one also had ginger and avocado. It was a big bowl. The rice was mushy. Still the best poke I've had in Orlando. They serve three other types and a pork platter. They have a location in the meat market in Winter Park and another in that new market downtown (old Frank N Stein's). Tuffy's is huge. It is on Myrtle (closer to 17-92) and 2nd. The front room has a huge ceiling. Mirrors in granny frames atop the bar. There is an intermediate game room and a huge outdoor area with a pontoon boat and RV serving as decoration. Parking is not an issue. They have been open for three weeks.

Inner Compass Brewing - This old service station location across from Celery City on 2nd St has a tiny interior and a patio. I tried their four brews (flights not full glasses). All were good. Not bad for their first batch. I had a Saison, Kolsch, IPA and Stout. The kolsch wasn't limp and watery and neither was the saison. They did a good job on the remodel. They opened two months ago.


No comments: