Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Grub Crawl - Audubon Park: Florida & Co (Closed) and Gideon's Bakehouse

I went to these places at the East End Market on Corrine today at lunch. Not that anyone seems to care at this point.

Florida & Co - This was Local Roots until about a year and a half ago  Same owner. Now it's more of a restaurant. I had the Pesto zucchini bowl with white shrimp for $14. Most meals are at this price point. It was good. I'm not sure what possessed me to eat healthy, but, the zucchini "noodles" were grand (plentiful) and the pesto sauce was full of flavor (a little red pepper zing). The shrimp (6 medium) were ok. They seemed a little brittle and overdone. A few had a salty, chemical taste. The place takes itself seriously. Right up ti the edge of pretentiousness. They "curate". They only had one cook, so, the meal took a minute to prepare. One service person as well. There are eight seats at the bar and two tables for two. They said they may 86 the market and "expand". Two more tables? They serve wine and craft beer. Some sandwiches, salads and a steamed basket. They all mostly incorporated the shrimp. Some pulled pork too. They use seasonal items. Not bad. About one quarter full.

Gideon's Bakehouse - I grabbed a $5 cookie at this stall diagonally across from Florida. It gave me an upset stomach. I don't ever recall having one as a child. I guess you can eat to many sweets. That's a thing. It was a cinnamon roll and butterscotch cookie. Too much fluff and not enough cookie for me. It was like eating a bag of candy. Some nasty pockets of salt and probably baking soda in there. It made me think that these sweet shops with ridiculous portion ratios are just soft serve ice cream adjuncts. A vehicle to pile on candy for Veruka Salts. I get it now. They have been there for two years.

*There is also a new food stall in the back. Farm & House. It had a limited menu that was a bit pricey. Over $10 for burritos. I'll try when Bem Bom opens.


No comments: