Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Grub Crawl - Hourglass District: Cilantro's and Leguminati

I tried these two places last night. The first is on Bumby right before Curry Ford Rd. The next is at/near that intersection on Curry Ford Rd.

Cilantro's - This is an eight month old Mexican spot. It serves mostly hand held stuff - burritos, tacos flautas and dillas. I sampled a few tacos for you. I had a shrimp ($3.50), fish ($3.75), al pastor ($3) and a hard shell ground beef ($2). The shrimp was good. Four, medium sized, fresh. firm shrimp. The fish (mahi) was also fresh. and probably better (equal in size) than the salmon I had at the place on I Drive. The pastor was a little dry. Could have been chicken. Could have been anything. Big serving. No pineapple. I should have gone with carnitas. The ground beef was a little Jack in the Box-y. Fine ground. The seafood tacos came in a medium size flour tortilla. The pastor in a corn. All came with differing toppings. From cotija cheese to raw onion. They added some nice tortilla chips on the side. The food was mostly good. The place is into between a totally authentic $1 taco place and a Tijuana Flats. The chefs were tiny abuelas. The place is small. Six or seven little high top tables. All weren't clean. Not a bad little joint. Ok salsas. On the cusp of the favs list. We'll see how I feel in a few months. Got to clean those tables!

Leguminati - They are part of the Foxtail Coffee outpost. I've been waiting on them for months. They opened a week ago. They are a vegetarian place. I had a LGBT (I guess you can't be questioning when it comes to your sandwich) sandwich to go for $8. To see what rice paper bacon is. If it was anything, it dissolved into the LB. The T was fresh. The G (guac) was good. The bun was great. Nice flavors overall. And you know I can do without veganism. They have four or five other sandwiches and a few breakfast (all day) items. They were also serving wine and craft beer. I'm not sure who runs what, but, the other things in the building are a wine rack area, a fridge of beer, a sign that says Hourglass Social House and a Foxtail coffee bar. It looks hip. Or hipster.

No comments: